Using older model Canon BJC-85 with Windows 10/Edge HP laptop

Reaction score
I am trying to use my older model Canon BJC-85 portable printer on my HP laptop but am having problems getting the two to communicate with each other. I tried printing a test page with no result. The paper fed through and the printer made all the normal sounds but nothing printed. Using the troubleshooter was also negative. Hate to throw this printer away and spend the bucks on a new one...

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

Last edited:

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Does that printer support windows 10? Have you installed the driver/software package for it?

Reaction score
There were, and may still be, some issues with a Win10 update for Version 1909 that seemed to break proper USB connections, a printed list I saw mentioned Brother, Canon, Panasonic and Ricoh printers being involved but I had to fix the problem with an HP multi-function. I've not seen the problem with Win10 Version 2004 yet.

Reaction score
Does that printer support windows 10? Have you installed the driver/software package for it?

I don't know the answer to that. There is a CD that came with the printer but my laptop doesn't have a CD drive. I went online to the Canon support site but there are no updates or drivers available for this printer. I guess it's too old and no longer supported?

Reaction score
Go here and download the windows 10 driver/software package for it.

I think that is the same support site I was at. I took a screen shot of it. It says no support available in drivers or software.

Attachments

• BJC.jpg
    BJC.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 314
Reaction score
That does not mean though that the printer cannot be installed. I have an old Canon i860 that works just fine with Windows 10. However, I had to install the Windows 7 drivers to make it work and, what they (Canon) calls the addon package for Windows 7.

Reaction score
That does not mean though that the printer cannot be installed. I have an old Canon i860 that works just fine with Windows 10. However, I had to install the Windows 7 drivers to make it work and, what they (Canon) calls the addon package for Windows 7.
Thanks I will try that.

Reaction score
The printer did okay, you say.
Did you check if the cartridges were filled or not while printing?

Most of the old hardware now is not supported on Windows 10.
You will have to change the printer or you will have to downgrade to Windows 7.
I suggest you get a new printer.

I hope this helps!

Reaction score
The printer did okay, you say.
Did you check if the cartridges were filled or not while printing?

Most of the old hardware now is not supported on Windows 10.
You will have to change the printer or you will have to downgrade to Windows 7.
I suggest you get a new printer.

I hope this helps!
The printer went through all the normal sounds and machinations but when the sheet is ejected, it is blank. New cartridges were installed.

Reaction score
The printer went through all the normal sounds and machinations but when the sheet is ejected, it is blank. New cartridges were installed.
Are the cartriges old? There is a date on the package. Check if it is passed the date, if yes they are dryed out and you have to bye fresh ones.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
So it seems that there is no support at all for that particular printer anymore.

You may need to buy a new printer.

Reaction score
I don't know the answer to that. There is a CD that came with the printer but my laptop doesn't have a CD drive. I went online to the Canon support site but there are no updates or drivers available for this printer. I guess it's too old and no longer supported?

would it be possible for you to make a copy of the installation disk for me and mail it to me? i could pay you. thanks, jNE

Reaction score
would it be possible for you to make a copy of the installation disk for me and mail it to me? i could pay you. thanks, jNE
Had the same problems, now found that driver from canon inkjet S100 is usable for Canon BJC-85 in windows 10 64bit

Reaction score
Had the same problems, now found that driver from canon inkjet S100 is usable for Canon BJC-85 in windows 10 64bit
hello
I have installed that driver with canon ij driver module from on canon website
could you explain the process to make it work/linked to the bjc 85 printer ?
thank you
regards

Reaction score
Hi I have the same problem. These printers are so useful as I could use on the road whilst travelling.
Did you get yours to work with Win 10?

Ask a Question