SOLVED Using WMP to convert M4A to MP3

Reaction score
Not a solution for your issue but maybe an alternative. Over the last few days I have used the free VLC [Video LAN] to convert over 400 .wma files to .mp3, worked fine. I didn't change the location of the .wma files, let VLC save the .mp3 files in the same folder. The song names didn't change, only the extension, so no problem with exact duplicates. And I did them in batches, had 11 folders containing between 30 and 33 songs, they came from a DJ who had created the playlists for a reunion my daughter was involved with.
https://www.videolan.org/

Reaction score
You had success with WMA - I can but hope that it also applies to M
I have a lot of audio files, many ripped from CD but no .m4a format. The .m4a format is listed in File, Open so I'd think it will work to convert.

Reaction score
I have tried using VLC to convert one M4A and it produced an MP3 that VLC could play. So my needs are met, but the problem of WMP is NOT solved

Reaction score
I use command-line programs to do allot of my conversions. Audacity is one GUI utility I use on occasions. The export and import note suggest it is capable of M4A and WMA. Please note there are two different libraries to get M4A/WMA and MP3 compatibility which will need manual setup.
Import sound files, edit them, and combine them with other files or new recordings. Export your recordings in many different file formats, including multiple files at once.
  • Import and Export WAV, AIFF, MP3, AU, FLAC and Ogg Vorbis files.
  • Fast “On-Demand” import of WAV or AIFF files (letting you start work with the files almost immediately) if read directly from source.
  • Import and export all formats supported by libsndfile such as GSM 6.10, 32-bit and 64-bit float WAV, RF64, and U/A-Law.
  • Import MPEG audio (including MP2 and MP3 files) using libmad.
  • Import raw (headerless) audio files using the “Import Raw” command.
  • Create WAV or AIFF files suitable for burning to audio CD.
  • Import and export Opus, AC3, M4A/M4R (AAC) and WMA with the optional FFmpeg library (this also supports import of audio from video files).

You could also try Handbrake. I have only used the command-line version of Handbrake. But there is also a GUI version.
Supported Input Sources:
Handbrake can process most common multimedia files and any DVD or BluRay sources that do not contain any kind of copy protection.

Outputs:
  • File Containers: .MP4(.M4V), .MKV and WebM
  • Video Encoders: H.264 and H.265 (Including hardware acceleration support), MPEG-4 and MPEG-2, VP8, VP9 and Theora
  • Audio Encoders: AAC / HE-AAC, MP3, FLAC, AC3, E-AC3, Opus and Vorbis
  • Audio Pass-thru: AC-3, E-AC3, FLAC, DTS, DTS-HD, TrueHD, AAC, MP3 and MP2 tracks

By the way Handbrake converts audio and video. Where Audacity only does a select list of audio files.

Reaction score
I know of Audacity and Handbrake. My current need is for audio - SPECIFICALLY M4A to MP3; Bighorn suggested VLC; I had success with ONE such conversion; but various difficulties have kept it at just that first (trial) success, whereas I have MANY M4As to convert.

The only material relevant to my problem in your quote is the first and the last point (for Audacity ?) 'Import and Export WAV, AIFF, MP3...' and 'Import and export Opus, AC3, M4A...'

I can but try my luck with it. Thank you.

Reaction score
I've tried Audacity - it describes the M4A as 'Advanced Audio Codinq file.' Then says 'Without the optional FFmpeg library, Audacity cannot open this type of file.' However AGAINST expectation if offers NO help to fixing this lack.

Reaction score
I have tried Audacity with FFMPEG in a x64 system, and that works; so thank you very much - I'm NOT left stranded.
I have a lot of M4A files to convert, so a BATCH process would be ideal. I did not find a lead to that - is it possible ?

The system I typically use is x32 - and it has Audacity installed, but the M4A conversion requires FFMPEG;
so when I googled for a x32 version of FFMPEG, v4.2.2 showed up from December 2021;
however what downloaded WITHOUT ANY OTHER OPTION was v5.# for x64
I did manage to find a x32 v4.2.2 elsewhere, but having 'run' the ffmpeg.exe (as I did in x64),
Audacity still made the same complaint - that without FFMPEG the M4A could not be opened.
So I deduce that running the FFMPEG was not effective.
I notice that the icon for those three EXEs are the kind that I see with faulty files.

Attachments

• FFMPEG.JPG
    FFMPEG.JPG
    10.5 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Reaction score
The 32 bit may only be available in an older version.
I notice that the icon for those three EXEs are the kind that I see with faulty files.
Those exe are not the main application executables. They are not faulty. They are just system icons used for all exe files that do not have a designated icons.

Reaction score
Those three were the only EXEs in that package; for the success in x64, I merely clicked on FFmpeg.exe; nothing much happened, but the M4A could be processed.
In x32, similarly nothing much happened, but the error message stayed the same.
I had updated Audacity from v3.1.2 to v3.1.3
I CAN try running the FFmpegin a v3.1.2 version...., although I think I had already done that ....
Another option might be to find an FFmpeg even older than v4.2.2 - could you help me with that ?

Reaction score
I think I see where the trouble is. FFmpeg.exe is a command-line utility. Audacity is one of many that act as a graphical front end for the command-line utility. Since FFmpeg.exe is not built in. Audacity must run it externally and pass several parameters to make it function correctly. Without using parameters FFmpeg.exe simply doesn't have anything to do.

Long story short I'm a hobbyist with command-line. I have to research all my project when I do them. I'm not a professional and do not feel comfortable helping others. I will dabble a bit at times but that is about it.

In the link below you can see a small sample of possibilities available in command-line. Without using a graphical front end. The person doing the scripting will need to understand all the parameters being plugged into the executable. And also an understanding of parameters to leave out.

ffmpeg -i input.mp4 -filter:v scale=640:480 -c:a copy output.mp4
ffmpeg -i input.mp4 -vf scale=1280:-1 -c:v libx264 -preset veryslow -crf 24 output.mp4
ffmpeg -i input.mp4 -filter:v "crop=w:h:x:y" output.mp4
ffmpeg -loop 1 -i inputimage.jpg -i inputaudio.mp3 -c:v libx264 -c:a aac -strict experimental -b:a 192k -shortest output.mp4

Reaction score
In view of the fact that in x64 Audacity does the conversion from M4A to MP3 without any fuss - the decision is a no-contest.

No suggestion about batch process ?

Reaction score
You could try these. I however do not know anything about the applications.

Reaction score
Strange how my original Google search came up with WMP and not the other options. Your latest suggestion is specifically for batch processes and installs in x32, so I'm very hopefull this is the very answer I was looking for.

Some 30+ M4As have now been converted to MPs using that converter you suggested - which had ALREADY installed on my x32 PC, and I had forgotten about it !

Last edited:

Ask a Question