SOLVED Very strange Google Chrome problem

Reaction score
I hope I'm not posting in the wrong forum. I do use Windows 10, so I was hoping that would apply, even though this problem seems specific to Google Chrome.

And what's even stranger, this problem seems to only occur on the website, www.aol.com.

I hope the snip I've taken shows properly.

Capture (2).PNG

Okay, it appears to have worked.

Anyway. Notice the < and > arrows. And the 8/73. The page is supposed to automatically scroll through as many images are loaded, in the case of this snip, that would be 73. And to the right of the image is a short blurb explaining what it's about; in this case, a tribute paid by Michael Douglas to his father, Kirk Douglas.

Now here's the thing. The images scroll, but if I want to click through them, they only scroll if I click TWICE. And what's more, the text part to the right of the image doesn't auto-update. It only updates if I reload the page manually (clicking the reload icon).

I can scroll through three images, reload and the correct text blurb will appear. I can then scroll back two, reload, and the correct text blurb will appear. But this is supposed to all happen automatically on this page, and it stopped. Everything has to be done manually now.

This issue persists through closing and restarting the browser, and even a total system reboot. And I haven't come across anything like this on any other page; only on www.aol.com.

Unless the browser is LYING to me, I have the most up-to-date version of Chrome: I click "About Google Chrome" and it says my browser is up to date. There is no "update" button. I'm told the version number is 74.0.3729.169.

Any time I fix one problem with this browser, another just literally APPEARS out of thin air, and I gotta say, this one is creative, albeit annoying and vexing as all heck.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on here?

Reaction score
Okay. Apparently I can't delete this whole thread, and at the very least, it will serve as a notice to anyone else who's having the problem.

I did a little detective work and figured out what's going on.

Apparently, this problem is AOL holding its breath, kicking and pounding its fists on the ground, throwing a good old fashioned temper tantrum over AD BLOCKING. I whitelisted the site, clicked off the tab, started a new tab, called up the page and everything was hunky dory again. I resumed ad blocking, clicked off the tab, started a new one, called up the page and automatic updating stopped.

I'd rather manually load each text description than be subject to intrusive ads.

I remember that most websites, unable to figure out how to bypass adblockers, are now simply blocking or restricting access to their websites. I hope and pray this backfires in their faces one day, but that's another story for another time.

Anyway, now that I've figured out what the problem is, and I don't seem to be able to delete the post, I'm going to mark it solved. My apologies to everyone for bothering you.

Ask a Question