Viewing XML file in Windows 10

Reaction score
I upgraded to Windows 10 from 7 last fall. I need to open an XML file but don't know how to do it.

Reaction score
I tried to do this. The default is Office XML handler but I couldn't find one for Office 2016.

However, Word 2016 seems to be able to open .XML files up to a point...sometimes it complains and sometimes it does it. It looks as if earlier versions of Office have the Office XML handler available on Cnet

Any text editor will open an XML file but of course it is full of the commands just as an HTML file is when opened that way.

Reaction score
You can also use Excel to open XML fils, but you have to set it to be the default in order to do that. Open Excel, go to FILE, OPTIONS, GENERAL and scroll to the bottom. Select DEFAULT PROGRAMS and set all the XML files types you need so they will open automatically in Excel.

upload_2018-8-14_14-30-23.png

Reaction score
As Tim, said. On my computer, I can open an XML with Word 2016. I tried it with one or two files resident, it didn't seem to complain.

Interesting though, by default, although it shows as in my picture, if I click on an XML, it opens with IE.

Capture1.JPG

But, XML files are, basically, only text files. You should be able to open them quite normally with notepad

Ask a Question