W10 - lost Start menu.

Reaction score
I know this is not an uncommon problem, because I have seen queries raised on other sites. But becuse of my low technical knowledge I am not able to understand the sequences., and actions to perform.

And it may be I shall have to seek outside help. So this forum is my last resort before that step.

I now only have left on my desk top, two options Picasa 3, and Chrome, every other programme has gone.

Along the bottom of the screen is still a tool bar , white window icon, 'Search the web and Windows'icon, Task view icon, No new notification icon.----- None of these work.

Added to that my printer has ground to a halt, so I am not able to print emails of information or pages to study. at leisure.

Suggestions please?:confused:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
My first suggestion would be to boot you computer into safe mode
Hold the shift key while clicking restart..... You can do that from the sign-in screen or by using the Ctrl + Alt + Delete keyboard combination (both or either screen should have a power icon from which you can choose restart while holding down the shift key and then after navigating through the advanced troubleshooting screens you can choose Startup Settings to get to the Safe Mode option (#4 I believe).

CommandPrompt.JPG

Leave it set and have a cup of coffee or two and then reboot normally.

IF that doesn't seem to help at all, then I suggest you attempt to determine if the problem is global or unique to your particular user profile, by creating a new user as a member of the local administrators group (not a standard user).
Go to
C:\Windows\System32
Find
Cmd.exe
Right click it and choose run as administrator
At the admin command prompt type
net user JohnSmith /add
hit enter
then type
net localgroup administrators JohnSmith /add
hit enter
type
exit
hit enter
Restart and log in as JohnSmith

Reaction score
The simply answer to the question, is No it has not been resolved.
I still have only Chrome & Piccass3.
Photoshop, Microsoft Office, and A family history programme, have gone.

I know that many solutions have been offered over time on the web. So it is a known problem.

I dont know when it happened, I guess overnight after I logged out, because the start menu was not there the next day.
Is it because of an update? Who knows? will it happen again? possibly.

BUT, as I cannot seem to resolve it my self, I have to consider getting someone here to do so.

So the next question is, Having paid for someone else to sort it out, and knowing it may well happen again, do I want to stick with Windows 10? or return to W7 or W8

What are my alternatives to a less stressful condition?

Thank you

Ask a Question