SOLVED What has caused Windows Mail not show mail received?

Reaction score
Opening by clicking Mail icon on Taskbar, no longer show a numerical number at the Account name, number of mail available to be read.
I now too require to click the sign in icon.

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Can you explain what exactly you're talking about.
Perhaps even provide a clipped image of your issue.
Capture.PNG

Perhaps you're talking about the taskbar icon itself that displays notifications based on your settings for the lock screen.

Capture2.PNG

Reaction score
Sorry for not being more clearer with my topic. Referring to your reply and picture illustrating arrows and figures, this is exactly what I was asking. At present, there are no figures showing the number of mail received. The fact that I know that an email has been sent, and clicking the actual browser name fails to open window showing the mail received. Opening the browser account setting shows a much longer password than previously saved, retyping the current saved password and resave again has no effect. Checking settings again, the unknown password is yet again showing.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Those numbers (figures) are not actually showing mail "received" they show "unread" mail, so....
If you are employing multiple devices and syncing your account across them and are reading / opening mail on one of them, then...
The number of "unread" mail will be impacted across all sync'd devices.
You mentioned a "browser". I was speaking of the native email app, but....
IF you are opening your account in a "browser" as well (hotmail.com / outlook.com) it will have the same impact across sync'd devices as well, in both the "browser" as well as the "app".

Reaction score
What is causing password update not being saved though I click the save box. It repeats asking for update password, is deleting the password in accounts setting not the correct procedure? At present just deleting password dots . . . . . and entering a new password does open any mail sent, but on rebooting, the unknown password . . . . . . is repeated, and all is back to caption "account requires attention".
It appears to me saving password, is not registering with Virginmedia and I have no knowledge in how to do that.

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Sorry, I have no experience with VirginMedia.
It may be something obscure, like your email address account password and your Microsoft account password may be in contention and causing the conflict you're experiencing. That is something you're going to have to sort out and resolve.
I've seen something similar when people use a third party email address as their Microsoft account credentials.
AND
Changing, updating or otherwise altering your Microsoft password has no effect nor impact on your email providers records as to what password is associated with your email account.

Reaction score
I understand anyone not a Virginmedia customer will have no knowledge of their setup, but I thank you for response and interest shown for a solution.
I did go on line to Virginmedia, and changed password as directed, but yet again this proved a negative result. As I have said, no matter how often that I change a saved the new password, sign in repeats this sixteen number to my entry of 10.

Reaction score
Virginmedia accounts don’t seem to work well with any email clients judging by the posts I read on their forum.
Is there any error message?
The number of **** doesn’t indicate an incorrect password but is just obscuring how many characters there are to prevent anyone guessing it By counting the **.

Reaction score
Hi Bastet,
Message is that my email icon address "requires attention" , meaning update the password is required.. No matter how many times that I update the password the unknown password showing is repeated. How this password was originated is certainly a mystery to me and the fact . . . . . . . . . . exceeds the number of characters that I ever use. The numbers shown at side of email address I presume refers to the number of messages posted by persons. I do agree in what you say about Virginmedia.com site has caused me many a headache, and trying to contact them is even bigger one or if lucky enough to do so, it is always my computer is the cause and not them. At present, contact is an impossibility and have no alternative than to try and solve an issue myself.

Reaction score
My NTLWorld & Virginmedia accounts are the same in that there’s more ** than there are characters. As stated this is intentional.
Screenshot 2020-11-19 150149.jpg

Ensure that no-one else has accessed your account.
Check too that caps lock &/or number lock isn’t turned on.
If you need to contact support then it’s best to do this first thing in the morning - 8.00am - or post on their forum.

Reaction score
Hi Virginia,
Your response most interesting, thank you. Ensure that no one else has accessed your account! - how can this be checked? this would certainly indicate if my account had indeed been accessed and if it could be deleted. My Caps lock is permanently off. My keyboard appears not to have a number lock.

Reaction score
There isn’t a way to check with Virginmedia as there’s no log to show when an account was accessed Unfortunately. If you can access webmail then it’s most likely no-one else has accessed the account & that the password is correct.
I was thinking that if you cannot access the account at all then someone else may have changed the password.

I’ll check on the VM forum to see if there’s any solution there.

Reaction score
As you correctly say password that at present appears, is definitely not made up or installed by me, as I have never made up a password with the number of characters as shown at present. I have tried umpteen times to remove it but admit that I have no idea what so ever how this is done.

Reaction score
As stated the number of stars doesn’t correspond to the length of the password. This is a security feature.
As shown my password is the same but works.
Is the email address your main Virginmedia account or a secondary? If secondary then you can delete the account. Otherwise you can change the password but as you’ve already tried this via the VM website & then changed it on your email client then either there’s a problem on VM’s end or number lock is on.
Try using the onscreen keyboard to enter the password.
Try another email client like Thunderbird.

Reaction score
Using Google password settings, it displays password make up and certainly doing that does show me what the password is saved on the Virginmedia account. The password that Google shows, is certainly correct for this account. Virginmedia is my prime account, with use of other two web addresses as "Add Account", I am not absolutely certain, but the pass two days, Virginmedia mail account is again showing receiving mail messages, rather than your account needs attention.

Reaction score
Yes I agree with you, as I have placed a complaint on their online but awaiting a reply. Or, I carried out a Windows recovery, either way for the present it appears to have sorted out for the time being. Thanks for your interest, appreciated.

Reaction score
Are you referring to the complaint, carried out this through contact us. To be honest I have never used the Forums or indeed know what the procedure is.

Well not again, yet again I have to enter password and save it, to open Virgin mail. As you would say back to square one, a sure thing with this Virgin, would not recommend under any circumstances to my worst enemy or indeed anyone.

Last edited:

Ask a Question