SOLVED Word 2016 Has Errors

Reaction score
My WORD 2016 was running along smoothly, until it wouldn't open, giving me a message that there were problems that needed "repairing." At Add/Remove Programs, I asked the computer to do a "Repair" job internally. It has been doing this for over one hour, but nothing is happening. I also notice that my HDD light isn't flickering. (Flickering would indicate activity.) It is giving an occasional single blink, which tells me that the computer isn't fixing my WORD 2016 errors. Should I have selected the "repair WORD on the Internet" choice?" I tried to abort the present process, thinking I'd get the "Internet Repairing" option, but, no, that option isn't there any longer. What is happening here?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Is your version of Word part of the Office Suite
OR
A stand alone version.

Have you tried rebooting the system and attempting the repair again?

Try holding the Windows logo key down on your keyboard while striking the R key
AND in the Run dialog box type the following
winword /safe
hit enter of click OK.
Anything happen?

Reaction score
It is a stand alone version that I bought from Windows on the phone. They sent me the installation program 3 years ago, and I still have it. I stopped the "fixing" WORD once again and tried your tip. What happens is it does NOT open WORD safe. It opens the same annoying little orange box that states, "updating WORD," which will run for 10 minutes and then tell me that WORD is "defective."
Yes, I have tried re-booting, to no avail.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Since you still have the installer and assuming you likewise have the documentation of your purchase and hopefully the product key....

It might be worth the effort to uninstall
AND
Then re-install it and update it fully.

Reaction score
The computer will not allow me to uninstall the WORD program at all. I have tried 7 times. When I try to change and then REPAIR, the repair runs and runs and runs without end for hours. If I use the special Windows Office Removal Tool, it tells me it has uninstalled the program and that I have no Office products in my computer any longer. Had I originally selected Fix WORD on the Internet, Microsoft would have repaired the thing 10 times already. That choice has disappeared.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Why not just use the installation media to install it over top of itself. Sort of like doing your own offline but still comprehensive repair.

Michael Bell

Mickey B
Reaction score
you may have already did this but I had issues with office 2016 that is excel and word. I have collected what I call Win Fixes in a data base I did this to fix mine
1597634866354.png

Reaction score
I use Office 2016. I presume this is what you are referring to? It runs without fault in all functions.
" If I use the special Windows Office Removal Tool, it tells me it has uninstalled the program and that I have no Office products in my computer any longer. Had I originally selected Fix WORD on the Internet, Microsoft would have repaired the thing 10 times already. That choice has disappeared. "
Take a look, first, in C:\ Program files, and see if you have this folder:

1597637203630.png

If not, then the suite has been successfully removed and it should work if you follow Trouble's suggestion to reinstall from your original material. If and when it is complete, check that it has been successfully activated /registered.

Reaction score
I tried virtually ALL suggestions given, and nothing still worked. I finally got an idea. Why not use RESTORE TO AN EARLIER RESTORE POINT? So, I did that, and the computer got sent back to 29 July 2020. All was fixed. All worked fine. This morning, I was informed to do Windows Update for two updates that had been done in the beginning of August, but which then were removed by the Restore Point change. I successfully did that.
I want to sincerely thank all of the help I have received from all of you who are certainly smarter than am I on this computer stuff. This problem is solved.

Ask a Question