What to do about my local admin account?

Reaction score
Yesterday I was normally playing games and doing whatever on my computer. Today, when I tried to sign in to my account with my pin number, it said "Your password was changed on a different device" so I had to use my password instead to log in, but it said my password was incorrect. I find it weird as im not logged in with my microsoft account, as it's just a normal local administrator account! I didnt change the password for my account, and my guest account doesnt have a password, and im overall confused! I tried looking for ways to reset the password or do a recovery, or try to do anything on the troubleshooting options or anything really, but I cant because whenever I want to it takes me to a "choose your keyboard layout"page and it doesnt let me click or exit out of it.

No one knows my password and I didnt change my password, so what is going on?! I had a windows 10 update done overnight but I dont know if that is what changed my password..help please! ( I tried my MS email password just in case but it didnt work either)

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Very confusing.
As a test, at the sign-in screen or perhaps by using Ctrl + Alt + Delete keyboard combination can you hold the shift key while using the power icon to restart your computer and then use the advanced troubleshooting options / startup settings to boot your computer into Safe Mode. Just to see if the password box behaves any differently.

Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Very confusing.
As a test, at the sign-in screen or perhaps by using Ctrl + Alt + Delete keyboard combination can you hold the shift key while using the power icon to restart your computer and then use the advanced troubleshooting options / startup settings to boot your computer into Safe Mode. Just to see if the password box behaves any differently.
Tried it, but the password was still incorrect!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
If it is a local account password, you may give this a try and simply clear it.
http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/
Burn the ISO to a CD and boot from it.
The link includes instructions and a walkthrough on how to use it.
It's relatively easy, most times you just use the enter key to select the defaults until you get to the account selection then you simply select the account and then clear the password, which will leave it blank.

Ask a Question