SOLVED Where has all my storage space gone?

Reaction score
Your "C Drive #1.PNG" image shows "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\Windows" having what appears to be a file 159.4GB in size. I checked that folder on my system and it's only 40MB in size including the subfolders. That location is your trouble whatever is creating the large file in that folder.

Can you look up that location and tell us specifically which file is taking up all that space?

Edit:
I found this article that may be relevant if the large file is "windows.edb". - http://www.sbsfaq.com/?p=3836
I noticed my disk space is getting pretty low on my laptop. I used Treesize to determine that one of the biggest files was my Windows.edb file at 15.5GB in size.

Personally I turn indexing completely off, so I've never run into this indexing problem.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The file was "windows.edb." I found this link: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-edb-file

I did as they instructed. What happens if you turn off indexing? Does that make things harder to find on your computer?

Thank you, thank you a hundred times over ... you and Trouble ... for your patience and sticking in there with me. I would never, never have found this thing on my own because I just don't know enough about computers. :D Now things are looking normal again; showing 218 GB free space. And if this happens again I'll know how to handle it. You can't know how tickled I am over this!

Last edited:
Reaction score
What happens if you turn off indexing? Does that make things harder to find on your computer?
It's not harder for me to find anything. I rarely have need in using search. You will just need to try it yourself and see if you need indexing turned on.

BTW did the link instructions work for you? Did you manage to get your space back?

Ask a Question