Where is my "new folder with selection" context menu gone?

Reaction score
I used to use this right click context menu "new folder with selection" all the time.
or was it perhaps just "new folder with this selection" I can't remember... I'm not even sure this was a standard Windows function or some sort of add on.
I found a couple of video that suggest this was added by TeraCopy, tried to install new and old version but no luck.

Can I restore this? It is very useful

Thank you

Regedit32

Reaction score
I'm not clear whether you are not seeing the option New when you right-click to go to Context menu, or whether you mean, after clicking New you then do not see the option Folder

Here is two commands you can enter into an elevated command prompt to restore both the New and the Folder choices in your Context menu:
  • Type cmd into the Cortana search field then press Ctrl + Shift + Enter keys together
  • When the User Account Control prompts you click Yes to allow an Administrator: Command Prompt to open
  • At the Administrator: Command Prompt type or copy & paste the following two commands:

Code:
    reg add "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\New" /ve /t REG_SZ /d "{D969A300-E7FF-11d0-A93B-00A0C90F2719}" /f

Press Enter to execute

Code:
    reg add "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder" /ve /t REG_SZ /d "Folder" /f

Press Enter to execute

Type exit then press Enter to close the Administrator: Command Prompt

Reaction score
I didn't do a good job explain myself sorry. The "New" you are referring to appear when nothing is selected e.f to create a new folder.
Mine is a different question.

After additional digging I can confirm I had this available because of TeraCopy

1577002111518.png

This appears when you select one or more files in a folder and then right click. When clicked it will in 1 step:
- create a new folder
- move the selected files into it
- highlight the new folder name (as after the standard new/Folder operation) so that it can be renamed just typing the new name.

All in one click! Now I'm wondering if I really need to stick to TeraCopy for this or can be achieved without additional software.

P.S. similar softwares i run into are "file2folder" and "Files 2 folder" but i was really wondering if this can be achieved without installing anything additional.

Thanks!

Regedit32

Reaction score
Ahh, I understand what you are meaning now.

I'm not familiar with TeraCopy or File 2 folder, however I imagine both of these applications are simply adding a new entry to the Shell Context Menu in your Windows Registry.

You can do that yourself, without the need to download and install additional software:
  • Type cmd into the Cortana search field then press Ctrl + Shift + Enter keys together
  • When the User Account Control prompts you, click Yes to allow the Administrator: Command Prompt to open
  • At the Administrator: Command Prompt type or copy & paste the following command:

Code:
    reg add HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\{C2FBB631-2971-11d1-A18C-00C04FD75D13} /f

Press Enter to execute the command.

Now, when you select one or more files, and right-click them you will see in your Context Menu the option Move To Folder, which if you click opens the Move window you normally access via the File Explorer ribbon.

Example image

example.png

So now you can create your own folder, or select one to move files too.

If you'd also like the option to copy one or more files to a selected folder, you can add this to your Context Menu using the following command at the Administrator: Command Prompt:

Code:
    reg add HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\{C2FBB630-2971-11D1-A18C-00C04FD75D13} /f

Press Enter to execute

This second command, gives you the Copy To Folder option in your right-click Context Menu.

Sample image

example2.png

So with this option you can choose to copy one or more files to a selected folder, or create a new folder.

I hope that covers all bases per se. Let me know if there is anything else you were after.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Wow, thanks for this! it does almost the same!
Haven't tested it to be fair but based on what you're saying I do need to create the new folder manually.
I'm wondering if this can be automated too using the system "new/folder" function?

Regardless many thanks for the inputs!

Regedit32

Reaction score
If you're wanting to automate the folder creation too, then you will probably need to commit to one of those third party File moving tools.

You could write a batch file, to achieve this, but I'm not so sure that would be worth the effort unless you are regularly moving files from a specific destination, as opposed to random directories. Windows 10 includes the Robocopy.exe application which is what I'd probably use if I wrote a batch file like this, although you could also make use of Windows 10's xcopy.exe application too. Both can be used to select and move or copy files to a new destination, which you can later rename. Both executables are located in the System32 folder, so to use them you need to be executing them with Administrative privileges.

The following webpage discusses using a Script applying the Robocopy.exe, which may interest you:

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help! I think I'll stick to TeraCopy function for the time being as it works any ways.

Thanks again

Ask a Question