Where is Windows Sandbox?

Reaction score
Hi, having upgraded my Windows 10 Home 1903 to Windows 10 Pro I cannot find the Windows Sandbox app !!!!
According to Task Manager "Virtualization" is enabled.
In "Programs & Features", I have checked the box for Windows Sandbox and re-started the system.
When I select "Start", Windows Sandbox isn't present in the program List.
When I "Search" for Windows Sandbox, I just get Web results !!!!!
My Laptop is a Lenovo Ideapad 310 151SK with 4Gb Ram installed.
Any information / Assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in Advance,
John P.

Reaction score
It certainly should be in the start menu. Did you make sure virtualization is enabled in your bios?

Reaction score
I can confirm virtualization is enabled.
Screenshots of "System Info.exe" and "Task Manager Performance" and "Start Programs List"
Regards, John P.

Attachments

• Screenshot (1).png
    Screenshot (1).png
    159.3 KB · Views: 402
  • Screenshot (2).png
    Screenshot (2).png
    138.2 KB · Views: 367
  • Screenshot (3).png
    Screenshot (3).png
    128.1 KB · Views: 408
  • Screenshot (4).png
    Screenshot (4).png
    437.5 KB · Views: 413
Reaction score
C:\Windows\system32\WindowsSandbox.exe

View attachment 10289
Found Windows Sandbox .exe and clicked on same, which opened the sandbox with the option to "Pin to Taskbar", which I did !!!!
Tried opening from Taskbar, and got the following error message :-
The connection to the sandbox was lost.
Error 0x80072746. An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.
Would you like to submit feedback about this error?
Still does not show in Programs List !!!!
Regards, John P.

Reaction score
It does seem that you have an incompatibility problem??
Try this:
Click on the start and type Windows Sandbox. Click the result you see. You may have to wait a few seconds for it to sort itself out - mayb 5 or more.

Reaction score
It does seem that you have an incompatibility problem??
Try this:
Click on the start and type Windows Sandbox. Click the result you see. You may have to wait a few seconds for it to sort itself out - mayb 5 or more.
When I do as you suggested, I only get Web results
Regards, John P.

Reaction score
Just in case, the utility shows as Windows Sandbox in the apps listings.

Like you, I started by using the Programs & Features option to enable the Sandbox. If Virtualization is not enabled in the Bios it should tell you. After I enabled it an install was done much like a Cumulative update process. After rebooting once or twice, the Windows Sandbox is available on my system.

If Virtualization was already enabled in the Bios, you might disable it and then re-enable. If that doesn't help, are you running any other virtual installs or drives?

Reaction score
Just in case, the utility shows as Windows Sandbox in the apps listings.

Like you, I started by using the Programs & Features option to enable the Sandbox. If Virtualization is not enabled in the Bios it should tell you. After I enabled it an install was done much like a Cumulative update process. After rebooting once or twice, the Windows Sandbox is available on my system.

If Virtualization was already enabled in the Bios, you might disable it and then re-enable. If that doesn't help, are you running any other virtual installs or drives?
I will try resetting BIOS as you suggested, and no, I am not running any other virtual installs or drives !!!!
Regards, John P.

Reaction score
I will try resetting BIOS as you suggested, and no, I am not running any other virtual installs or drives !!!!
Regards, John P.
Reset the BIOS, but still the same..... Not showing in Program Files (only showing in System 32 files as Windows sandbox.exe.)
Regards, John P.

Reaction score
The other thing I see from your attachments is most of your system resources are in use. Very little memory or processor power. Is that just temporary or does your system run short of resources?

Reaction score
The other thing I see from your attachments is most of your system resources are in use. Very little memory or processor power. Is that just temporary or does your system run short of resources?
Not that I am aware of.....Would re-installing Windows Pro possibly resolve the problem?
Regards, John P.

Reaction score
Maybe a wrong track, but I am wondering if your machine is OK with the Sandbox.

fwiw, this is what MS say is needed
Windows 10 Pro (or Enterprise).
Hardware virtualization.
AMD64 architecture.
2 processor cores minimum (4 cores with hyperthreading is recommended).
4GB of RAM (8GB is recommended).
1GB of HDD space (SSD is recommended).

A fresh install could help. How did you upgrade from home to pro? And, previously, from 1803 to 1903? The problem may be there.

Reaction score
Sorry this is late, I did not hit the post button.

I don't know if it would help to reinstall but if the resource usage is not directly related to the Sandbox install, you may want to see what is causing at least the memory usage. You should be able to check that with the Resource Monitor - Memory tab..

There were some comments which mentioned the 1903 upgrade was using all the memory but I assumed that was only during the actual install.

Reaction score
Sorry this is late, I did not hit the post button.

I don't know if it would help to reinstall but if the resource usage is not directly related to the Sandbox install, you may want to see what is causing at least the memory usage. You should be able to check that with the Resource Monitor - Memory tab..

There were some comments which mentioned the 1903 upgrade was using all the memory but I assumed that was only during the actual install.
Hi,
Checked Memory usage as you suggested and it does appear to be quite high (69%) but don't know how to resolve (Included screen shots).
Ran System File Checker and found corrupt files which were resolved, and I now have windows sandbox in the Program Files List, but when I try and to run it get the same error message as previously, being:- "The connection to the Sandbox was lost. Error 0x80072746. An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host".
What is the meaning of "remote host"?, as I have checked my firewall !!!!!!
Regards,
John P.

Attachments

• Screenshot (6).png
    Screenshot (6).png
    177.3 KB · Views: 322
  • Screenshot (7).png
    Screenshot (7).png
    195.2 KB · Views: 323
  • Screenshot (8).png
    Screenshot (8).png
    194.7 KB · Views: 308
  • Screenshot (9).png
    Screenshot (9).png
    187.9 KB · Views: 274
  • Screenshot (10).png
    Screenshot (10).png
    202.7 KB · Views: 334
  • Screenshot (11).png
    Screenshot (11).png
    203.5 KB · Views: 316
  • Screenshot (12).png
    Screenshot (12).png
    199.3 KB · Views: 299
Reaction score
You needed to Start with the Resource Monitor since it shows the overall usage.

You can also set the columns in Task Manager to show highest usage at the top.

Memory.JPG

Reaction score
You needed to Start with the Resource Monitor since it shows the overall usage.

You can also set the columns in Task Manager to show highest usage at the top.

View attachment 10297
Hi
Here is a screenshot of Resource Monitor results. How do set the columns in Task Manager to show highest usage at the top?
Regards,
John P.

Attachments

• Screenshot (13).png
    Screenshot (13).png
    111.5 KB · Views: 312
Reaction score
You don't have a lot of memory left over but since I can't say for sure the resources are the problem, you may just need to keep looking for another answer. As mentioned, your system may not be compatible, for some other reason.

The Sandbox also takes up around 8 GB of drive space for its virtual desktop, just in case you are low in that area.

Reaction score
" As mentioned, your system may not be compatible" That is why I asked how the op did the upgrade. If there were incompatibilities, my experience is that the upgrade, if you wished to keep your software, would have been rejected. Otherwise, perhaps it was a clean install?

Reaction score
" As mentioned, your system may not be compatible" That is why I asked how the op did the upgrade. If there were incompatibilities, my experience is that the upgrade, if you wished to keep your software, would have been rejected. Otherwise, perhaps it was a clean install?
Hi Dave,
Has I already had "Windows 10 Home", I just purchased a Windows 10 Pro" Product key and activated same.
Regards,
John P.

Ask a Question