Who gets Windows 10 for free?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Not sure exactly what you are referring to.
Can you be a little more specific?

Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Not sure exactly what you are referring to.
Can you be a little more specific?
If you have bought a computer with WIN7 then you can register your interest when microsoft email you to inform you that you need to reserve your free upgrade to WIN 10. I got my expression of interest after purchasing my relatively new laptop some six months ago. The installation went without a glitch and the only problem is the lack of sound/volume . Otherwise no problems with installation at all.

Reaction score
Hi Guys ,whos in line for the free win 10 system who do I ask .Thanks graham

You don't "ask" anyone for it.
If you have a computer running a genuine copy of either Win 7 SP1 or Win 8.1 Update 1, you are entitled to a free upgrade to Windows 10.
In that case, you will be notified by Windows Update to install the new OS.

There is also a quick way to install a free copy of Windows 10, PROVIDED you have a genuine copy of Win 7 SP1 or Win 8.1 Update 1.

Last edited:
Reaction score
It's Free to any W7 or W8.1 PC you should get a windows icon on your taskbar, where when you click on it, you can reserve W10 or you can go to the Microsoft windows 10 download, website and get it there, you need to click on the tool for either 32bit or 64 bit and your on your way to downloading W10.

Reaction score
I might add though - if you get the update to Win 10 Home - and want pro - it would seem you have to pay full price to upgrade to it - ie., no credit for the fact you have 10 Home - though not certain on that

Reaction score
I might add though - if you get the update to Win 10 Home - and want pro - it would seem you have to pay full price to upgrade to it - ie., no credit for the fact you have 10 Home - though not certain on that

For Free Upgrade, the upgrade path is ....... Like to Like.
Home to Home, Pro to Pro.
32-bit to 32-bit, 64-bit to 64-bit.

If one wants to switch architecture, one will have to buy a new license and do a Clean Install.

Reaction score
davidhk129 I'm fairly certain a clean install would allow for switching bit versions on the same license (upgrade or retail).

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
davidhk129 I'm fairly certain a clean install would allow for switching bit versions on the same license (upgrade or retail).
Might be an interesting experiment for someone to try.
There was a time where the licenses were unique including the bit version but I'm pretty sure you're right, cause recently the license / product keys seem to work on either 32 or 64 bit versions.
Not even sure that license and or product key is actually the proper nomenclature anymore.

Reaction score
Maybe you can download a 64-bit Windows 10 ISO and do a clean Install over a 32-bit version without buying a new license........ maybe.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Think I'll try it.
The opposite way round my machine is already 64 bit, so I downloaded the 32 bit ISO created a new USB install and will give it a go tomorrow if and when I have the time.
Just interested to see if it works.

Reaction score
It is my understanding that you get whatever you are now running, if it's a home version that's what you get if a pro version then that's what you get. (FREE) However if you still run Vista or XP you can only buy W10/ $119.00 for the home version and $199.00 for the Pro.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
It is my understanding that you get whatever you are now running, if it's a home version that's what you get if a pro version then that's what you get. (FREE) However if you still run Vista or XP you can only buy W10/ $119.00 for the home version and $199.00 for the Pro.
That is correct, as @davidhk129 and many others have already stated, when it comes to the upgrade (free) it is like for like bit version for bit version home for home pro for pro (and above).
What this thread has evolved or maybe devolved into is a discussion of what you might then be able to do with respect to a clean install, once that upgrade has been activated.
Can you or can you not, then perform a clean install of a different bit version? It's basically just a question within a question at this point and not really something I would recommend trying without some extra careful steps in advance.

Reaction score
I have win 7 ultimate and is waiting for WIN 10 Prof.
I have not yet seen the white flag. Ihave auto uodate and so on.
Is there something wrong or are there others who have not got the white flag ?

We have upgraded on my wifes pc

Ask a Question