Why is Windows 10 so slow?

Reaction score
I'm needing a bit of help here. I've just bought a new laptop and it's come pre-programmed with Windows 10 which I didn't think was a problem until I started to use it. It is incredibly slow, lags for minutes between opening any windows and is generally terrible - I mean I like the setup and the features but it's just so slow and useless! I have an Aspire ES1-571-562B, 4gb of ram, 1 TB of memory HDD with i5 core processor so it shouldn't be a slow machine surely?! My old laptop is about 6 years old and runs quicker, could anyone with more technical knowledge please help me, it would be greatly appreciated!!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
You're right ..... that system should not be all that slow.
Unfortunately new computers often come with a fair amount of bloatware and as a consequence you may have some programs, processes and services starting up when you boot your computer that are resulting in a performance hit.
You might want to try clean booting the system and see if that provides any relief...
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows
Easily done, easily undone.

Basically you're just disabling all the Startup Items and All non-Microsoft services.
Be sure to check the box to hide Microsoft Services, as you don't want to accidentally disable any of those.
After configuring your machine to Clean Boot, if that seems to provide any relief from the problem you will then have to take some time and determine what the offending program, service / process might be.
Carefully and deliberately one non-Microsoft service at a time or in very small groups re-enable them, rebooting after each change to observe any changes. Then graduate to the Startup items again rebooting after each change.
Understanding that in some cases, a Startup item may have a non-microsoft service associated with it and as a result you may not notice the impact until both the Startup item and the service are re-enabled.

Additionally, assuming that, that is a 64 bit system, you might want to consider a RAM upgrade.
Doubling it from 4 to 8 gigs will likely help some.
Especially if it is not using a dedicated discrete video card. It will likely be sharing some of your RAM with the onboard Video, leaving you with less that 4 gigs available to the OS.

Reaction score
Is this new machine running McAfee or Norton or another 3rd party Av program. Try turning that off and using Defender. Also try turning off the file indexing service.

Reaction score
Ah, you have an Acer computer. They come with a lot of bloatware, I'd suggest doing a clean install to install without any bloat, find additional drivers you may need and you're good to go.

Ask a Question