Wi-Fi connections not found!

Reaction score
Hello,

So, an important thing to know is the fact that I just removed my Dell Latitude's 5420 monitor by unscrewing it and cutting 2 wires because I don't care about this laptop anymore. Now, after doing this, no more wi-fi connections are showing ! I know I may have cut the wi-fi cables and I'm fine with it because somehow I can still use my Mobile Hotspot from my Samsung which is very weird.

I tried reinstalling and updating every wifi driver and resetting my ip and every windows troubleshoot there is but nothing worked when it comes to finding wi-fi networks again. Now, I have no problems by just opening a hotspot connection and hopping on it because I got unl internet for 5 euros lmao. The thing is, this internet connection is somehow unstable when I'm gaming, CS:GO is working with a 0.2 ms and after 5 minutes it just disconnects me and jumps to 200 ms.

What I need is someone that maybe had the same issue with removing the monitor and losing wi-fi access to tell me how they fixed it because I see that wi-fi is still an option if the mobile hotspot is still working. Or, how can I make my hotspot connection more stable so I can do a lil bit of gaming on it? Especially CS:GO.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Most times a Laptop/Notebook screen is attached to the motherboard via a ribbon cable. The Wireless/Wi-Fi usually has 2 wires leading from the network adapter on the motherboard alongside the hinges into the screen portion of the case, cutting those 2 wired disable or seriously limit the Wireless. Reception of the Wireless signal from the Router is hampered by the length of the wires. A lot of the knowledge of that goes back to the days of radios requiring wires strung out to receive the signal, FM radio for the longest time needed an external antenna while the AM didn't. If wanting to continue using the Laptop/Notebook one could either get the wires from the maker or get a USB Dongle that allows connecting wirelessly to the Router, I keep AirLink 101 Wireless N 150 adapters on hand just for the time a computer doesn't have Wireless. The model number is AWLL5088V2 that are 802.11n speed but newer ones may be available for 802.11ac or 802.11ax.

Reaction score
Yeah, what Beeeater said, you cut the wires to the wifi.
You could have set it to stay on when you close the lid and just used an external keyboard and mouse.

Reaction score
Your mobile hotspot works because it's sitting right next to your laptop, so the radio card is picking things up without your antenna. If your router was right next to your laptop, it would work equally well. Which, I gather, is not that well in either case.

Ask a Question