4 of 6 USB Connections (2 USB 2 & 2 USB 3) Do Not Work

Reaction score
My desktop PC is 4 1/2 yo Inspiron 3487 with Win 10 Pro.

Changed my USB Hub and now 4 out of 6 USB connections (on the rear of my CPU) do not work (IE when I plug in various USB 2 Flash Drives they do not register). Everything else seems to be working correctly (Internet, File Explorer, Dragon Naturally Speaking, etc.).

The same Flash Drives work correctly when plugged into the USB connections on the front of the CPU.

2 of the USB connections (on the rear) still work – both USB 2. I connected a USB 2 Hub and plugged in Flash Drives plus a Scanner and they all work correctly.

Did a Google search and found a Microsoft article describing the situation when a USB connection doesn't work. The workaround/correction is to disable the Root Hub in question and reboot – but the only thing that it did was to slow down the reboot.

Any other suggestions?

Reaction score
Was the recommendation to Disable or to Uninstall the Root Hub in Device Manager? On a couple of computers I had to work with back some time ago the Uninstall worked and got the system back to normal after the reboot. The Uninstall gets a refresh of the drivers while Disable usually doesn't.

Most computers have the rear ports soldered to the motherboard and the front panel ports connect to the board by cable. If nothing else works one could get Add-in cards with USB ports, I use PCIe X1 or PCIe X4 cards to gain more ports, available for both USB 2 and USB 3, haven't investigated the newer USB-C yet.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
You may want to plug in your service tag number at the Dell support site and see if they offer any driver updates for that system.
Paying particular attention to any BIOS and Chipset Drivers

Reaction score
Disable versus uninstall.
Title of the method within the article said disable but was directed to uninstall.

Tried disabling and enabling – no joy.
Tried uninstall and reboot – no joy. (Both root hubs were enabled but it made no difference.)

As it turns out, USB 3 root hub has been okay during the whole procedure (my fault – cried "Wolf").

In the display of The USB Controllers (in the Device Manager) there were two lines:
Intel (R) Series/C220 Series USB EHCI #1 8C26
Intel (R) Series/C220 Series USB EHCI #2 8C2D

Searched Google but didn't find anything that made sense.

Any further suggestions?

Reaction score
Disable versus uninstall.
Title of the method within the article said disable but was directed to uninstall.

Tried disabling and enabling – no joy.
Tried uninstall and reboot – no joy. (Both root hubs were enabled but it made no difference.)

As it turns out, USB 3 root hub has been okay during the whole procedure (my fault – cried "Wolf").

In the display of The USB Controllers (in the Device Manager) there were two lines:

Searched Google but didn't find anything that made sense.

Any further suggestions?

Reaction score
I'm having an extremely similar experience, but with Logitech Options. It works on my laptop using "Logitech input device." However I can't get my tower to discover it. It says only "generic input device." Super frustrating. I've followed every solution i can find online, but to no avail. If you find any solution, please post here. I'm tired of trying for now.
1607899981114.png

ps. i also have the same as you:

Reaction score
No joy – getting weird results/actions for USB connections – sometimes they work, sometimes they don't (USB 2 devices have problems when plugged into the USB 3 corrections on the back.

Considering having a USB 2 or 3 card.

Ask a Question