Windows 10 pro does not recognize usb hard drive

Reaction score
I have 3 hard drives that I want to use as a USB connected storage.

I bought a SATA to USB cable but my windows 10 pro does not

Recognize the drives. My question is: What should I do to make it work?

Right now the drives are formatted NTFS.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Can you send a link as to which SATA to USB adapter you purchased?

What size SATA drives are you dealing with 2.5" or 3.5"?

Reaction score
Am I correct to assume that you do not see the drives in File Explorer??

If that is correct, your drives may not have a letter assigned to them. To check this, you need to open the Disk management and look if there are drives that do not have a letter. Assign a letter and you should be able to use them.
BTW: I have a similar cable and it works perfectly....

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
That is for the smaller form factor SATA drives (as indicated in the description).
IF you are attempting to use it with larger 3.5 drives, it is unlikely that it would provide sufficient power.

Reaction score
That is for the smaller form factor SATA drives (as indicated in the description).
IF you are attempting to use it with larger 3.5 drives, it is unlikely that it would provide sufficient power.
Correct, adapters for the 3.5" HDDs and ODDs do need additional power, referred to as Self-Powered. The USB 3 ports do provide enough for the 2.5" HDDs and SSDs. The 3.5" HDDs need 12V and 5V while the 2.5" need only 5V.

Reaction score

That and the 3.5" have dual power (5V and 12V) while the 2.5" only need 5V.
Since the TO did not mention which one he has and the link shows a cable for the 2.5" drives, I assumed that his drives are actually 2.5" drives. I may be wrong in this case....

Ask a Question