SOLVED Widows 7 will not upgrade

Reaction score
I have tried to upgrade my Windows 7 pc which I built from scratch recently but can not. I have tried many times but it fails (to boot). Microsoft tries, without my permission, daily but fails. I have no driver issues with the new build. Windows is validated. I have tried it with a USB stick. I have tried a simple upgrade. Only failures result I have followed the advise of David and Trouble to no avail.

This is a gaming computer so is fine as is I am done trying to upgrade to Windows 10. I still want 10 so I have purchased a new pc. It is a mini pc to replace another mini pc with Win10 that I sent back. It only cost $111 total but has Windows 8.1 and is certified to upgrade to Windows 10 just like the other one. It has a quad core processor, 2GB RAM, 32MB SSD with a 32 GB micro card. It has Wifi but I will use an Ethernet adapter to cable it to my router. It is powered by a USB charger. It has no fan so is totally silent. It is very fast and streams HD video to TV (40" in my case). It is tiny and fits in the palm of my hand. It will be here tomorrow.

The reason I chose the Windows 7 OS instead of buying the Windows 10 was cost ($60 for 7) and game compatibility with 7 is more reliable at this time. I wanted to try as an experiment to play the games with Windows 10. I had planned to revert if that was unsatisfactory.

Reaction score
In light of the recent new methods of Windows 10 activation which you have just read, would you care to try setting up a dual boot and install Win 10 into the new partition ?
If and when it asks for product key, select SKIP,
you did say you did not have SKIP option, if so, enter your Win 7 product key. Will it accept the key ?
If yes, continue installing. After installation, find out if it has been activated.

Reaction score
Maybe I will do that later but right now I am putting that machine aside and am going to use my new Windows 10 mini pc .
The "no skip option " was solved if you will recall. The Windows 7 was not activated I finally saw that in the small print. The next time I tried to install after activating it just skipped on past the key entry part.

Reaction score
I am happy to report that I discovered the reason that Windows 10 will not load to my system. It is a new board and needed a BIOS update which is specifically for Windows 10 compatibility. I do not want to update it so am changing it out for a board which is already updated and is more suitable to my use (at no cost).

Reaction score
Well. Finally.
That's what I said. I suspected the board all along and was about to send it back but thought that I would do the BIOS update. There is where I read the the update details. None of the boards reviews I read mentioned any issues with the board. If I were more computer savy I would have updated the BIOS and I started to but could not figure it out so I am taking the easy way out with the board swap. Reviews of the new board indicate that it comes with the Bios updates already installed and rave about how stable it is.

Ask a Question