Will I lose my Windows 10 license entitlement if I upgrade the motherboard on my PC?

Reaction score
Well, whatever it actually was, the media was calling it a 'crash'. Something told me to check and make sure I'd activated shortly before reading the article. Nope it hadn't and it took three days for the server to get caught up.

Reaction score
From what I've been reading, if you are doing this upgrade yourself, and can wait until after the Anniversary Upgrade AND sign in with a Microsoft account, the hoops you may have to jump through to reactivate will be greatly reduced. Licenses will be tied to a users Microsoft email account then.

Sorta right as the accounts are linked to the PC. But with the anniversary update there is a tool that allows you to link the PC to the MS account you use to login. So if you have multiple PC's and login with the same MS (email) account the PC hardware is tied to the account for all PC's you login with the same account. So if you try to activate a pc that didn't have digital entitlement it won't activate. The tool makes it easier to activate when changing hardware and stop pirating if the machine didn't get activated in the first place.

Reaction score
Windows 10 reactivation has proven a nightmare for me and Microsoft!
6 months ago had a crash and had to have Microsoft intercede.
Then around 6/12 had a crash cased by UPS failure/immediate shutdown.
Recovery nor repair worked, I spent all my efforts over two 18 hour stretches, and gave in and called Microsoft. They. with me, spent the next 10 days trying all sorts of recoveries, repairs, fresh installs, and none would validate. I reached panic for my biz which is still rebuilding things now. I Said to Microsoft " Enough, I will buy a fresh product, not an update and install" Ok and we were on that path for about 5 more days before a tech figured out they installed the wrong ISO file, then installed the correct file. Microsoft has called me 3 times since to learn from this and make sure all is good as it is an issue they contributed to the extended mess and they also needed to learn from it. Make sure you use the proper iso file and leave the recovery partition alone would be my advise. In the process Microsoft said it was a bios issue, then a hard disk issue. I checked the disk in two machines and reported it is not the disk, had ASUS check the bios, not the bios. Then they said it must be the disk, So I formatted it. and with a formatted fresh install on the disk with a purchased key, it would not validate because the iso file used to install windows 10 did not match the Key I purchased - which was Windows 10 Pro. The email giving the key takes you to the page to create the media which did not work. IF I UNDERSTAND CORRECTLY YOU MUST NOT PICK WINDOWS PRO N, PICK WINDOWS HOME AND THEN IT GOES TO PRO IF THAT WAS YOUR KEY/SYSTEM IDENTITY. So at this time, few people are buying Windows 10 non-OEM, and I think things are not properly prepared ON THE WEB OR EMAILS SENT OUT OR IN THE FRONT END OF THE MEDIA CREATION TOOL ADVISE. During the early phase of Microsoft trying to get things to validate, they created product keys, did installs several times and used these keys to validate with failure. I noted here that someone had a problem with a quad 4 processor, which is the case here. In the end, I and Microsoft stuck to it to fix it, then the PC would not recognize the file history till I finagled some files per some online research to get it to list the history saved on the mirror pair I had need to recover. My advise, don't play with Mother Validation. Also, I hope it is true that they are beginning to change activation/validation to a user account rather than hardware, as I had that issue and had to call when Windows first came out. I also believe they are liable to lawsuit if they tie intellectual property to the hardware, as it is open, not like Apple, which begins and ends with Hardware first, by an only from them. My opinion is that when the dust settles on this major change up being introduced and the concepts vastly different, while trying to keep millions of PC's running and updated, they will have a better system, it's just the getting there that is breaking my back - and straining thier back. I am a 365 user, and find a similar, but somewhat more reliable change up going on there as well, with it's advantages to all - eventually!

Reaction score
It is a crap shoot. On one laptop, I purchased Windows 8 Pro in order to domain join. Motherboard went out and I replaced it with an new mobo from the manufacturer. Several days later I attempted to free upgrade to Win 10 and the licensing issue reared its' ugly head. After an entire day on the phone with Microsoft we could not get it to activate. Went back an forth between Win 8 and updated to Win 10 a couple of times. Totally disappointed with MS support, or lack of, I just bought a copy of Win 10 pro because this was a production environment machine, I had to make it work.
Since this, I've had one additional machine behave the same way, just pay the additional $99.00. Because MS is totally disoriented and absent on resolving these issues.

Ask a Question