Win 10 autoplay music CD...

Reaction score
Win 10 has removed the ability to automaitcally play a music CD when inserted into the drive....Like you could do on Win 7...
I realize this was a security issue Microsoft closed.....BUT.......

Does anyone know a way to change this so that if I insert a music CD into the drive....10-20 seconds later the music starts playing...

I've gone thru all the settings....

Settngs > Devices > Autoplay ON...Removable Drive = Open folder
Default APP setting > Music Player = VLC Media Player

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdrom\
Autorun string is set to 1

Thoughts...suggestions....or it cannot be done...

Reaction score
Sounds like you may need an audio playing program such as the older Windows Media Player or maybe the free VLC which can also play videos.
www.videolan.org

Reaction score
I'm using VLC.....the issue is as I stated....Microsoft removed the option to autoplay music CD's....considered a security risk...
We could do it in XP and W7....but not in W10....

I suspect it won't make any difference what audio playing program I use...as I believe this is an W10 issue and I would like to find
a way to get around this...

I'm looking for a work around....some way...maybe a registry edit...or a program of some kind...a script that gets around that restriction...
Thanks for your comments....

Reaction score
Bestet....I had not thought of trying Group Policy....I found a setting there...Set the default behavior for Autorun...

It says...
If you enable this policy setting, an Administrator can change the default Windows Vista or later behavior for autorun to:

a) Completely disable autorun commands, or
b) Revert back to pre-Windows Vista behavior of automatically executing the autorun command.

I was hoping it would take me back to pre-Vista and the audio CD would pop up and start playing in my default media player which is VLC......but...no joy......

Possibly modifying the autoplay.inf file might do it....but I don;t think I want to go there....
I'm not a programmer....

Thanks for the link....

Reaction score
I would try temporarily changing the default player back to Windows Media Player & see if that makes any difference. If not then I’ll look further into it.

Reaction score
Have you checked under the old control panel>Auto Play? The CD option is there.

Reaction score
Damn....THAT WORKED...!!!
So...I don;t use Windows Media Player....maybe 20 years ago but not since I discovered VLC.....I always set VLC as my default media player....

So I opened Windows Media Player....looked for any preferences....nada....inserted a CD....in about 5 seconds it displayed the tracks on the CD....in another 5 seconds it started playing....

I closed Windows Media Player...

So...I reset my default Media Player from VLC to Windows Media Player.....

With Windows Media Player closed....I inserted an audio CD...and NADA....

So with WMP open on the desktop I re-inserted the CD....WMP filled up with the tracks....but DID NOT start playing...I had to hit the "play" button on the bottom of WMP....I don;t know why this 2ed attempt was different from the first....

So this time I changed the default media player from WMP to VLC then I opened VLC then inserted the CD...NADA...

I closed VLC and reset the default back to WMP... re-inserted the CD......NADA....so this time I opened WMP...and re-inserted the CD....in about 10 seconds it populated the tracks AND IT STARTED PLAYING WITHOUT hitting the start button....

So...this is a partial victory....Inserting a CD will NOT autostart WMP...or VLC....but if I have WMP already open then insert the CD it will at a minimum populate the tracks and it may or may not start playing...

Thank you Bastet....

Reaction score
You’re welcome.
Also check my other reply about control panel>auto play settings.

Reaction score
I've gone thru all autoplay settings....none of these will modify an audio CD to auto play....
WMP is as close as I can get....

Windows Autoplay.inf might be able to change that...but I;m not a programmer...
Again...many thanks...

Reaction score
Strange as the old Control Panel>Autoplay shows CDs for me.
When I insert a CD I see a pop up asking me to choose what to do, this is because I don’t have autoplay set to a specific action.
If you open control panel can you find autoplay? If not then I’ll provide a screenshot if possible.

Reaction score
Are you on Win 10 Home or Pro...???...I'm on Pro....but this should not make any difference...

I do have the Old Control Panel > Autoplay does in fact show a CD option...
Use AutoPlay for all media and devices....box is checked...
Music > Play Windows Media Player is what I have showing....

BUT...I still have to open WMP first....then insert the CD and the tracks will show in WMP.....then I hit the start button and everything is fine...

If I try to use VLC....I have to open VLC....go to File and go to the CD drive and open it from there...
So using WMP is a little quicker and easier....

Reaction score
I’m using Windows 10 Pro running 2004 update.
Sometimes you have to select each individual setting in order to get it to work.
However if you’re happy with the workaround then that’s OK. :)

Reaction score
So Bastet...
We have the same W10 systems...
If you put a music CD in your player....does it automatically play...???

Reaction score
No as I have it set to ask. I see a pop up asking me what to do with the disc, I can then choose to play it or open it etc.

Reaction score
Annotation 2020-07-26 210923.jpg

Ask a Question