SOLVED Win 10 Calculator App

Reaction score
Windows 10 Pro:
I used the calculator app regularly. Sometime, I assume after the last cumulative update
2017-09 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1703 for x64-based Systems (KB4040724)
calculator quit working. When I click on the app I just get a quick flash on the screen.
I have tried troubleshooting apps it found no problems, uninstalled calculator/reinstalled using Power Shell (Admin) Still no change, just a flash on the screen and failure to start.
I've also attempted a start from the calc.exe file, all to no avail. It's not a big deal, but I did use the app regularly, any ideas would be appreciated.

Bif

Reaction score
Hmmm..that's odd Norton as mine continues to work after that cumulative, albeit I'm using 64 Home not Pro.
It is handy as you say..perhaps with the "big one" just around the corner it'll fix the calculator woes.

Reaction score
Biff Hopefully It will fix the problem with the "Big One"o_O I have tied everything that I know, it still it won't open. If the next update doesn't resolve the issue I may revert to the alternative that Bighorn suggests.

Reaction score
Norton. Have you tried a reset, through the settings - Apps? -
Click it and then click again on advanced options.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
calculator quit working. When I click on the app I just get a quick flash on the screen.
Have you tried another user account or tried creating a new user account to see if the problem is unique to your profile or if it is global across multiple profiles?

The app package files are maintained per-user here
%LocalAppData%\Packages
Which is basically here
C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Local\Packages
The Calculator package is
Microsoft.WindowsCalculator_8wekyb3d8bbwe

Sometimes it's possible to copy an app folder from a user profile location (where it works), into the same location in the non-working user profile folder where it is not working,
No guarantee but might be worth a try.
You would probably want to delete or move or at least rename the bad one first before attempting to copy in the working one.

Reaction score
Trouble thanks I will try your suggestion later and get back to you. The calculator doesn't work on my User or Admin account seems odd. Now I do remember the last time I used it I switched to scientific mode, it hasn't worked since although I did switch back to basic cal mode.

Bif

Reaction score
@Norton ,
If all else fails... you can always kick it old school!
:)
f772dc8d-3f03-4341-8ac8-10c5876e729f_1.3eebfa4be932e354cad2fe79216c4709.jpeg

Reaction score
Trouble I tried your suggestion with the exception of the settings folder all remaining folders are empty. o_OCapture.PNG

Reaction score
Dave Thanks! I have tried both methods. My calc.ecx is also located in System 32.
Clicking on the .exe file does nothing. Windows Store says it's already installed.
It's a strange one and its got (doesn't take much) me baffled.Calc.PNG

Reaction score
What about antivirus progs, etc... Anything there holding it back?

This has also been known to happen if you have wound down the user account settings??

I found this. Copy and paste in the power shell. It reinstates all of the Apps

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”}

Last edited:
Reaction score
Dave been there and done that too. The only problem it installs all the MS apps that I previously uninstalled. I can download other bloated calculator apps from the store but I still prefer the Win 10 calc for it's simplicity and small download footprint.

Reaction score
Hmm. The plot thickens. Maybe that is the way to go. Possibly there is a link between more than one app, including the calculator, which you have removed?

Reaction score
Well well another day. Received 6 MS Office security updates overnight.
Visited the store again and downloaded the standard calculator, with no problems??
Yes its working fine. Cumulative update is currently downloading Tylenol Time!

Bif

Reaction score
Well well another day. Received 6 MS Office security updates overnight.
Visited the store again and downloaded the standard calculator, with no problems??
Well that adds up!;)..
Glad it's working again, and hope it keeps working!

Ask a Question