Win 10 cannot 'see' my external drives, no drive letters showing in explorer?

Reaction score
Hi peeps, Could anyone help please? My new windows 10 only sees my PC - when searching for my files in Explorer, it cannot 'see' my two external drives when I plug them in. I've looked in Device Manager and they are not showing in there either. I'd be grateful for any advice. How can I tell Win 10 to access my external drives? Thanks.

p.s. I thought Win 10 would automatically spot my external drivers the moment I plugged them in? Then it would go search for and install the appropriate drivers - but it isn't doing that......

Last edited:
Reaction score
Chances are that Window 10 already has the drivers so you might not see the new hardware notification.

Right click on the start menu button select "Disk Management" from the popup menu
Check to see if the external drives are there.

If they are there but don't have Drive Letters right click on the drive select "Change Drive Letters and Paths"
Assign a drive letter and it should show up in explorer.

Reaction score
Apologies for not getting back earlier. The problem resolved itself after 3 or 4 days. I literally logged on one morning and everything was recognised as it should be. I have no idea how................? It just did it on its own.
Thank you for responding. Regards.

Ask a Question