Win 10 Home to Win 10 Pro Upgrade, but lost boot record

Reaction score
My desktop anchor booted up, and displayed the four commands available with 'bootrec / rebildbcd'.
Sighhhhhh!!!!
BTW, I assume writing. "Win 10 ISO" on the surface of the DVD with a Magic Marker would not impact its functionality in any way

Reaction score
Desktop anchor? What is that?

Was this something to do with the ISO boot?

Reaction score
If you followed Regedits instructions, to download the ISO file and then burned it correctly, the text you describe is not possible. The ISO will create its boot manager as it installs.
Are you sure you are booting from the DVD?

Reaction score
If you followed Regedits instructions, to download the ISO file and then burned it correctly, the text you describe is not possible. The ISO will create its boot manager as it installs.
Are you sure you are booting from the DVD?
I assume I downloaded the correct file: Windows.iso (3,638,820,864 bytes)

A normal boot, without the DVD, results in a 0xc000000f error. With the latest burned disk inserted I get the screens regedit32 described, unitil the final screen I described.

At this point ,I am almost ready to throw another $150 +/- at the machine, by taking it to a repair shop. I know I've received several hundred dollars worth of advice, already from your Windows10Forum pages the last week or so. I really appreciate the care and patience you guys have shown.

Reaction score
I think you are attempting a repair, and not a fresh install, at this point

Capture.PNG

Reaction score
No! No! Never use permanent marking pens on CD or DVD surface. The alcohol used in the ink for fast dry time degrades the disks at faster than normal aging. Write on the Jewel case index cover.

Reaction score
No! No! Never use permanent marking pens on CD or DVD surface. The alcohol used in the ink for fast dry time degrades the disks at faster than normal aging. Write on the Jewel case index cover.
Warning noted. Thanks.

Reaction score
Ok. Well, if you are not too anxious to make a fresh install, I'll leave it for someone else to guide you a little more through the more difficult repair function.

Reaction score
Yes. I clicked on the Repair rather than the Install button, per rgedit32's instructions. I'll go through it again to make sure.
Following is a synopsis of the screens using the DVD with no magic marker writing:
1) Press any key to boot from CD or DVD
2) The Windows icon displayed for 20 - 30 seconds
3) Dialogue box to enable changing Language, Time, Keyboard
4) Install Now with focus
Changed focus to Repair your computer
5) Troubleshoot
6)Command Prompt
7) bootrec / rebuildbcd
8) The following commands were listed as available:
FixMbr
FixBoot
ScanOS
RebuildBcd
9) I entered the ScanOs command as it seemed it would not change anything
10) I again received a display of the four commands
====================

At this time I am reaching for a whistle to start blowing "End of Game".
If I return this refurbished HP AIO by June 17, Amazon will refund all payment and shipping costs.
I'm going to take that option.

If you wish, I can work with you for the rest of today and part of tomorrow for the sake of closure and for the benefit of anyone that reads this thread. (I worked in IBM language support for 31 years, so this last bit still is an important part of the support community to me.)

Reaction score
Following is a synopsis of the screens using the DVD with no magic marker writing:
1) Press any key to boot from CD or DVD
2) The Windows icon displayed for 20 - 30 seconds
3) Dialogue box to enable changing Language, Time, Keyboard
4) Install Now with focus
Changed focus to Repair your computer
5) Troubleshoot
6)Command Prompt
7) bootrec / rebuildbcd
8) The following commands were listed as available:
FixMbr
FixBoot
ScanOS
RebuildBcd
9) I entered the ScanOs command as it seemed it would not change anything
10) I again received a display of the four commands
====================

At this time I am reaching for a whistle to start blowing "End of Game".
If I return this refurbished HP AIO by June 17, Amazon will refund all payment and shipping costs.

If you wish, I can work with you for the rest of today and part of tomorrow for the sake of closure and for the benefit of anyone that reads this thread. (I worked in IBM language support for 31 years, so this last bit still is an important part of the support community to me.)
I forgot to express my gratitude for all the assistance you guys have poured out to me.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
IF you are going to return it anyway, then why bother trying to repair the install, why not just perform a clean custom install..
Boot the system from the installation media, choose the install button, proceed through the screens and when you get to the list of partitions, just delete the partition where the current install resides and then install in that unallocated space.

I'd probably want to wipe the drive anyway before shipping it back as I wouldn't want any personal data, files, email accounts, etc., going with it.
AND
That's all they're going to do when they get it back. Likely just wipe it and reinstall and sell it as a refurb again.

DiskMgmt.png

Last edited:
Reaction score
IF you are going to return it anyway, then why bother trying to repair the install, why not just perform a clean custom install..
Boot the system from the installation media, choose the install button, proceed through the screens and when you get to the list of partitions, just delete the partition where the current install resides and then install in that unallocated space.

I'd probably want to wipe the drive anyway before shipping it back as I wouldn't want any personal data, files, email accounts, etc., going with it.
AND
That's all they're going to do when they get it back. Likely just wipe it and reinstall and sell it as a refurb again.

View attachment 6052
I thought I'd give it a try. I chose the path stating I had a running Win 10 Pro system. For an upgrade, I was told to remove the Install disk, boot up, and then use Windows Setup. Of course, I can't boot without that DVD. It was worth a try, anyway.

My next question is how to wipe a 2nd computer when it is not bootable; but that is the subject of a different post post.

Reaction score
I think they meant, after the install shut down the PC, remove the install media disk, start the PC and let it go through it's boot routine.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
a running Win 10 Pro system. For an upgrade, I was told to remove the Install disk, boot up, and then use Windows Setup
It means that, in fact you cannot "upgrade" a system that is not actually operational, as is the case in your instance.
Typically any "upgrade" is performed from within the running Operating System.
My suggestion was a custom clean install, not an upgrade.

Ask a Question