Win 10 Loses Hard Drives

Reaction score
I have my PC running Win 10 Pro 64bit Upgraded from Win 7 Pro 64bit 29/07/2016.
When Booting lately, I have got into the habit of checking to see if all 4 Drives are found, and they are found.
In general terms it has been running OK with just the odd issue happening occasionally, until recently.
In recent times, I can be working in an Application, not always the same one, and the Application stops responding and I have to shut it down and a System Reboot fixes the issue, initially an unknown cause.
It was not until this morning, when working in My Money, that I discovered the cause of these Freezes. When My Money stopped Responding and I had closed it, I opened This PC and found my E: Drive (Data Storage) was not there - all other drives were there.
This ties in with the loss of other Hard Drives I have needed to work in and found to have been Dropped Of the System.
In all instances a Reboot has restored the Hard Drives, so it was not from loose or bad cables, as can be the case.
Whilst I cannot be precise, I tend to think all of this has happened after recent Updates, from early September onwards, including KB3199209 18/10/2016.
Another thing I have noticed lately with 1 Hard Drive that is formatted as GPT and with 2 Data Partitions is:- only the first partition shows in This PC, whilst both partitions are seen in EasUs Partition Master - Strange and Disconcerting to say the least.
Never during the life of Win 7 Pro, did I ever encounter such annoying issues as I am experiencing with Win 10.
I, like many others, am sick and tired of Microsoft interfering with ones Personal Settings and Setup of their machine Software. Many of us setup our PCs to be more functional and to work the way we want them to, which obviously Microsoft could not care less about - They are Invading our Space and we do not like that.
However, can someone please explain the cause of my Hard Drive problems as this is rather disconcerting when my work is interrupted by a Freeze of a Critical Application.

Reaction score
I suppose a couple of things could be mentioned, but how old is your system and are any Win 10 drivers available from the OEM for it?

Do you run EaseUS all the time and has it been updated?

Could one drive be having a problem. I have seen instances where a failing or misbehaving drive causes problems for the system.

The controller may be having a problem with Win 10 which goes back to the driver question.

Any chance of getting a picture of your Disk Management window attached?

Reaction score
Thank you for your response Saltgrass - MB, CPU, RAM, all 6 months old - I only use EasUs for Partitioning, Adjusting Space or Viewing Partitions - It is not the same Hard Drive every time, chooses at random - GB Chipset Drivers were installed when MB was installed and Win 10 has its own Drivers - There is no need for a Snap Shot of Drive Management when all is Normal - I am not a Novice and I am very familiar with Drive Management and have checked all the things that normally cause a Drive to Drop Out. This is something that is unusual I have not encountered with any previous Windows Operating System. The only Win System I have not had is 8 & 8.1.

Reaction score
Hi,

Have you tried installing either the AMD or Intel chipset driver for your motherboard?

Maybe Win 10 is providing an incompatible or buggy storage controller driver.

I usually use the manufacture's driver, if one exists, and then use wushowhide.diagcab to prevent Windows from reinstalling the suspect Win 10 driver.

Jaco

Reaction score
I have my PC running Win 10 Pro 64bit Upgraded from Win 7 Pro 64bit 29/07/2016.
When Booting lately, I have got into the habit of checking to see if all 4 Drives are found, and they are found.
In general terms it has been running OK with just the odd issue happening occasionally, until recently.
In recent times, I can be working in an Application, not always the same one, and the Application stops responding and I have to shut it down and a System Reboot fixes the issue, initially an unknown cause.
It was not until this morning, when working in My Money, that I discovered the cause of these Freezes. When My Money stopped Responding and I had closed it, I opened This PC and found my E: Drive (Data Storage) was not there - all other drives were there.
This ties in with the loss of other Hard Drives I have needed to work in and found to have been Dropped Of the System.
In all instances a Reboot has restored the Hard Drives, so it was not from loose or bad cables, as can be the case.
Whilst I cannot be precise, I tend to think all of this has happened after recent Updates, from early September onwards, including KB3199209 18/10/2016.
Another thing I have noticed lately with 1 Hard Drive that is formatted as GPT and with 2 Data Partitions is:- only the first partition shows in This PC, whilst both partitions are seen in EasUs Partition Master - Strange and Disconcerting to say the least.
Never during the life of Win 7 Pro, did I ever encounter such annoying issues as I am experiencing with Win 10.
I, like many others, am sick and tired of Microsoft interfering with ones Personal Settings and Setup of their machine Software. Many of us setup our PCs to be more functional and to work the way we want them to, which obviously Microsoft could not care less about - They are Invading our Space and we do not like that.
However, can someone please explain the cause of my Hard Drive problems as this is rather disconcerting when my work is interrupted by a Freeze of a Critical Application.

Reaction score
I've similar problem, tried 2 different physical hard drives. Both intermittently are lost by win10. Diskmgmt drops the drive. Drives mounted in hotplug bay so easy extract and reinsert, then WIn10 find the physical drive and returns to normal operation. The physical drive is partitioned into 10 volumes. The intermittency is very random and can occur at any time, but less then daily. Motherboard is gigabyte, one drive tried was WD the other Samsung, tried in 2 different bays in midtower. Win10 maintenance is current. Any ideas ? (I've looked at all the replies to the above except OEM drivers as 2 different drives fail in 2 different bays, which driver would I use ???

Ask a Question