SOLVED Win 10 on Surface Pro 7 Freezes Up

Reaction score
I have had problems with Win10 freezing up on my Surface Pro 7 for a long time. Everything stops and the computer will not respond to any input for a few seconds up to permanently. When I get frustrated waiting, I will tap the power button twice and the laptop will wake up. I also noticed that sometimes when I tapped my wireless Microsoft "Modern Mobile Mouse" on my desk it woke it up everything worked again. Sometimes it did not. Microsoft's answer, after MANY hours of fruitless tech support while the laptop was under warranty, was "send it in, we'll replace the laptop, and you can reinstall everything on it." After doing this twice before, for other Surface Pro issues, I opted to just deal with the temporary freezes and hope that my daily check for Windows updates would one day produce a cure. Recently I noticed that my Device Manager shows two (2) "HID-compliant mouse" devices on my system. I have tried to delete one, but it always shows up again. Now I'm wondering if this might somehow be related to my freezing issue. Any suggestions or ideas?

Reaction score
The problem continued until May of 2024. Constantly looking for a solution I found a post somewhere that said while Microsoft did not offer an update for the video driver, there was a new video driver available for the SP7. My SP7 would not acknowledge or accept me trying to update any drivers manually. I had a disk backup on an external hard drive using Aomei but it was useless since it contained the defective driver. I did a Belarc report on my SP7 to make sure I had a list of everything on it and then backed up as much as I could to the cloud for MS 365 and other apps that offered it, and then did a factory reset on my SP7. After installing a new current Win10, reinstalling my apps one by one, and waiting 3 weeks to test it, the problem has disappeared. MY SP7 video no longer freezes. Years ago I had done this twice on my SP7 with no success but I believe now that it was because the Win10 I was reinstalling those times still included the old video driver which, for whatever reason, did not function properly on my SP7. I know there are owners still dealing with the same problem I had with the video freezing because I still see posts. I hope this helps you.

Reaction score
The problem continued until May of 2024. Constantly looking for a solution I found a post somewhere that said while Microsoft did not offer an update for the video driver, there was a new video driver available for the SP7. My SP7 would not acknowledge or accept me trying to update any drivers manually. I had a disk backup on an external hard drive using Aomei but it was useless since it contained the defective driver. I did a Belarc report on my SP7 to make sure I had a list of everything on it and then backed up as much as I could to the cloud for MS 365 and other apps that offered it, and then did a factory reset on my SP7. After installing a new current Win10, reinstalling my apps one by one, and waiting 3 weeks to test it, the problem has disappeared. MY SP7 video no longer freezes. Years ago I had done this twice on my SP7 with no success but I believe now that it was because the Win10 I was reinstalling those times still included the old video driver which, for whatever reason, did not function properly on my SP7. I know there are owners still dealing with the same problem I had with the video freezing because I still see posts.

The problem continued until May of 2024. Constantly looking for a solution I found a post somewhere that said while Microsoft did not offer an update for the video driver, there was a new video driver available for the SP7. My SP7 would not acknowledge or accept me trying to update any drivers manually. I had a disk backup on an external hard drive using Aomei but it was useless since it contained the defective driver. I did a Belarc report on my SP7 to make sure I had a list of everything on it and then backed up as much as I could to the cloud for MS 365 and other apps that offered it, and then did a factory reset on my SP7. After installing a new current Win10, reinstalling my apps one by one, and waiting 3 weeks to test it, the problem has disappeared. MY SP7 video no longer freezes. Years ago I had done this twice on my SP7 with no success but I believe now that it was because the Win10 I was reinstalling those times still included the old video driver which, for whatever reason, did not function properly on my SP7. I know there are owners still dealing with the same problem I had with the video freezing because I still see posts. I hope this helps you.
It appears I was wrong. For over a month my SP7 operated flawlessly and then all of a sudden it started freezing again. After my reinstall, I mentioned above I made a disk backup using Aomei Backupper so I recovered this backup. It did not help. My SP7 is still freezing and I have to tap the reset button to jar it awake. I give up. I love the size and convenience of the SP7 and will just live with this annoyance until I can afford a new tablet. Sorry for the false "SOLVED" notice.

Ask a Question