SOLVED Win 10 spins wheels, then aborts

Reaction score
The first time I clicked on the Win 10 icon to install, it started up and apparently downloaded the installer - and then something kicked it out.

Since then, when I click on the Win 10 icon the startup window comes up - indicates I had a reservation and downloaded, then asks if I am ready to install the software. I click yes, it says "wait a bit" and spins for about 45 seconds - and then vanishes...nothing pops up, no process shows in Task Manager...like it simply went away.

When I go to the Win 10 web page it seems to know that I have already downloaded the installer (although I can't see it in my downloads folder...) and won't let me start over.

Is there a way to work around this, or can I reschedule a complete new install attempt?

Reaction score
Try this method instead.
I used it to install my 2 laptops, Win 10 Home and Win 10 Pro.

1. Download the media Creation Tool. Make sure you pick the correct bit version.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

2. Run the Tool.
Select Create installation media for another PC option. That will create a Win 10 ISO.
(You can burn it to a bootable media later on. This method does not require it ).

3. Right click at the ISO > click Mount > click Setup.exe.
Installation will begin. This method allows you to keep your files, settings and apps.
This method does not require product key.
Activation will be automatic.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Try this method instead.
I used it to install my 2 laptops, Win 10 Home and Win 10 Pro.

1. Download the media Creation Tool. Make sure you pick the correct bit version.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

2. Run the Tool.
Select Create installation media for another PC option. That will create a Win 10 ISO.
(You can burn it to a bootable media later on. This method does not require it ).

3. Right click at the ISO > click Mount > click Setup.exe.
Installation will begin. This method allows you to keep your files, settings and apps.
This method does not require product key.
Activation will be automatic.

I did this, followed the instructions, and the first 2 attempts to install directly on my PC spent hours "searching for updates".
Then I made the DVD, that went well, but it spent several hours "making sure I am ready"...
Task Manager showed little memory use, and a minimal CPU activity.

And then, just as I wrote the above, it tells me it is "ready to install"...:p

Clicking Install...I'll let you know how it goes...

Reaction score
OK...it took a L-O-N-G time, seemed to spin it's wheels in a number of cases, but it finally made it all the way through...:D

Some quick initial observations - I did NOT appreciate it resetting my browser (Edge may be great, but I need to have the choice), the additional goodies will take some time to explore - later - and it would be nice if the long wheel spinning sections had some kind of status of what they are doing beyond just spinning the weasel with a note "Do not turn off your PC"... :rolleyes:

Seeing the current file being loaded on a changing notation would alleviate some of the angst with no information.

Reaction score
I did NOT appreciate it resetting my browser (Edge may be great, but I need to have the choice)

You can still use IE11 and set it as your default browser.
That's what I did.

Internet Explorer is hidden under Start > All apps > Windows Accessories.
You can right click at it and select .........
Pin to Start,
or Pin to taskbar,
or select Open file location > right click at Internet Explorer > Send To > Desktop (create shortcut)

Setting IE11 as default browser............
Go to Control Panel > Default Programs > Set your default programs > left side, click Internet Explorer > right side, click Set this program as default > click OK when done.

Reaction score
You can still use IE11 and set it as your default browser.
That's what I did.

Internet Explorer is hidden under Start > All apps > Windows Accessories.
You can right click at it and select .........
Pin to Start,
or Pin to taskbar,
or select Open file location > right click at Internet Explorer > Send To > Desktop (create shortcut)

Setting IE11 as default browser............
Go to Control Panel > Default Programs > Set your default programs > left side, click Internet Explorer > right side, click Set this program as default > click OK when done.

I was able to set FireFox just by opening it and answering "yes" when it asked if I wanted to make it the default...

One huge disappointment is that it has a new "improved" version of Freecell - I love the old one, without the noise and much clearer cards...and those ending fireworks - really annoying. I use Freecell to relax and plan, not to see explosions.

Ask a Question