Win 10 won't let me change from Business to Home Network

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

This is my first post here. I run a business from home with four computers all running win 10. All was smooth and easy going until a recent round of updates where a couple of computers ended up changed from "home network "to "business network", leaving them unable to communicate with other computers on the network. When I found the problem on the first two computers it was easily solved by just changing them back and rebooting. Now the same problem has happened to all of them, but I'm unable to change it, in that every time I do, when I reboot it comes up saying its on a business network again.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Gra

Last edited:
Reaction score
Exactly which version of W10 are you running? Did all these computers get upgraded for W7 or freshly installed?

On my machines I only see Private or Public network.

Reaction score
Exactly which version of W10 are you running? Did all these computers get upgraded for W7 or freshly installed?

On my machines I only see Private or Public network.
It's the latest update that installed itself a couple of days ago. Two were fresh installs, two were upgrades from 8......but that goes back months now. The problem has only just surfaced

Reaction score
I have the latest update from Thursday ( 10586.36) and I see only Public and private. Are you running W10 pro? If so You can see the Policy stuff under computer management that I can't. I wonder if the problem is in there somewhere.

Reaction score
Yep......all Pro licences. I've found nothing about other people having this problem so far and feel totally stumped.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I'm beginning to wonder if it has something to do with a slightly different terminology based on geography.
Here in the U.S. we see an option to switch between Public and Private, only. No reference to business or home for that matter.
Can you go here
Start Button -> Settings -> Network & Internet ->
Now your choices might be slightly different (since I don't have wireless on this computer, I proceed by clicking
Ethernet -> and then in the Right pane, I select on of my two wired connections (you may if necessary use the wireless option if that is how you are networking)
I'm then presented with a Slider On or Off to "Make this PC discoverable"
On = Private
Off = Public

Do you see anything similar?
By the way..... welcome to the forum Graham

Reaction score
I think its a mistake in terminology. I have the same problem since the last update. Both computers are windows 10 Pro, both with bought licenses because they neither upgraded to Windows 10 Pro from Windows 7 pro, but became Windows 10. Bought the Licenses and upgraded to 10 Pro. Both are 64 bit high end machines (Dell Desktops) Everything ran perfectly until the last software upgrade from MS. Now they won't communicate with each other. Both have changed to "business" networks, (This PC/properties/computer name, domain, and workgroup settings) change settings, Network ID selection are (1) This is a business Network (2) This is a home computer; not part of a business network. You can change to home computer, close, and restart, but when you open this page after reboot, it is back to a business network. Also, you can change the workgroup name, but it reverts to WORKGROUP on reboot. On my machines networks show (in network and sharing center) as private networks. So far I have looked on a lot of sites, tried the "fixes" but so far nothing has worked.

Reaction score
Gloria, this is an old thread but currently on my systems, it will revert to public whenever I change the connection to a different radio. I use the HomeGroup option and allow it to change the location.

As the thread mentions, Make sure you are not setting the Public Advanced sharing options to allow for Network Discovery.

Reaction score
Hi
I am having the same problem
I have business network or home computer as choices
Do not have private or Public
Win10 pro
gperzel

Ask a Question