Windows 10 "upgrade" won't complete...

Reaction score
Hello there,
Again I'm having trouble with a microsoft product and again their notion of assistance is a cynical joke.
I am a small company, with 3 computers: 1st upgraded within an hour, the 2nd I left to finish overnight after not completing the upgrade within around 4 hours. 24 hours later, and nothing. All I am still getting is a blue/purple screen with revolving dots. I can, sometimes, control/alt/delete and I get what i assume is some kind of Windows 10 logo with options calling themselves "connect to internet", "ease of access" and then "shut down", but these don't seem to be of any use in actually using my computer...

Anyone got a clue about this?

Reaction score
Hello there,
Again I'm having trouble with a microsoft product and again their notion of assistance is a cynical joke.
I am a small company, with 3 computers: 1st upgraded within an hour, the 2nd I left to finish overnight after not completing the upgrade within around 4 hours. 24 hours later, and nothing. All I am still getting is a blue/purple screen with revolving dots. I can, sometimes, control/alt/delete and I get what i assume is some kind of Windows 10 logo with options calling themselves "connect to internet", "ease of access" and then "shut down", but these don't seem to be of any use in actually using my computer...

Anyone got a clue about this?
do a clean install.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello Irritated and welcome to the forum.
It sounds to me like the upgrade failed and it is in the process of reverting back to your previous version of Windows.
That's the only case, where I've ever heard of an upgrade taking that long, and.....
Unfortunately it doesn't provide any progress indicators during the process.
I just went through something similar on an HP laptop. I got a diagnosing screen which sat there for 4 hours and then a restore screen which sat for another 4 hours.
The only thing I had to go on was the hard disk activity light, which seemed to be illuminated continuously almost like it was frozen.
Ultimately the system survived after the 8 hour ordeal. Sometimes, I guess, it just takes extreme patience.
I suspect that if I had taken any steps to interrupt the process, I'd have been left with an unusable computer, that may have taken a complete reinstall to rescue.
I don't suppose you have a disk image to fall back on??
https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/please-for-your-own-peace-of-mind.794/

Reaction score
There are some things with can directly effect an install of Windows 10. One would be not having enough free space on the hard drive. Another might be some particular driver or Anti-virus blocking the access.

It should be able to install without Internet access so you might even try disabling that to see if it will complete.

If there were to be a problem with hard drive size, I believe there is an option to use an external drive to hold some of the data being moved to alternate locations and then back. Not sure if you would have gotten some type of message about such.

Edit: Something I forgot to mention is if you already have one system upgraded, the second system may use the first one for the necessary files. If it isn't, you will still need the network access for the download part of the install unless you pre-download the install media.

Last edited:

Ask a Question