SOLVED Win 2004 became unstable

Michael Bell

Mickey B
Reaction score
After two weeks became unstable so I went back to a earlier time which restore worked. But now my edge will not work . I tried to modify Edge still does not work.
I do have google Chrome can I install New edge from Chrome or how else do I get New Edge back? Any suggestions?
This occurred on my older lap top I am sending this request from my newer lap top

Michael Bell

Mickey B
Reaction score
I tried google Chrome it does not work either so I have no way to down load anything ?

Reaction score
Hi Michael,

open Settings > Apps > Apps & Features and look for Edge browser (Microsoft Edge), click it then on "Advanced options" and repair (scroll down a bit). :)

1592813511582.png

Michael Bell

Mickey B
Reaction score
First thank you for your reply. I opened app and feature found edge on list clicked on it, the advance options does not appear under Edge only thing appears under Edge is its version 83.0.478.45 , what is there is modify with a gray out uninstall. Then I looked at google Chrome it has no advance feature ether just version gray out modify just uninstall. Modify does not work starts then closes.
The I looked at win10 one note you click on it the advanced feature appears under it. I am still getting action center notices. Now what can I do? Finally went to Control panel under uninstall programs Edge does not appear in tree but google does?
As I said I have two computers one ( which is older) is not working using edge to get onto internet , which internet is connected. The older one I tried to troubleshoot internet connection it says everything is working.

Reaction score
Try installing Edge from Windows Store and see if there is a way you can repair it from there?. ;)

Or try the newest version:

Michael Bell

Mickey B
Reaction score
Well that worked I opened in app store what appeared was feature page no install now link. I looked al the way down no install link. Restarted same thing but I saw edge short cut on the task bar I had there clicked on it and edge opened. Shut down edge reopened it launched again. So it appears it fixed itself like you thought. Now I hope I do not have to bother you any more today.

Reaction score
When in this situation can't you can just go back to the original Internet Explorer. It's in the Start menu under Windows Accessories. So far I've found nothing good about Edge. :-(

Reaction score
When in this situation can't you can just go back to the original Internet Explorer. It's in the Start menu under Windows Accessories. So far I've found nothing good about Edge. :-(
I would agree with the old Edge. The new CromEdge is quite good, far better than Chrome or IE, IE is going to be depreciated soon anyway I had to quit using it do to lockups and freezes constantly making it difficult to work with web pages. It is a slight learning curve coming directly from IE, I had been using Chrome for a few months so the new Edge was easy for me.

Reaction score
So far I've found nothing good about Edge. :-(

Well, maybe this will cheer you up: the new edge is by far faster than any browser I have tried and is much less resource hogging. It beats my favorite Firefox by miles and FF is hogging my RAM without limits. the only thing the new Edge has a problem with is with my network printer. On occasion it refuses to print. So far that is the only downside I have noticed and I am currently using Edge much more frequently..

This is just my two cents...

Reaction score
Well, maybe this will cheer you up: the new edge is by far faster than any browser I have tried and is much less resource hogging. It beats my favorite Firefox by miles and FF is hogging my RAM without limits. the only thing the new Edge has a problem with is with my network printer. On occasion it refuses to print. So far that is the only downside I have noticed and I am currently using Edge much more frequently..

This is just my two cents...

Thanks for the post. When I get a stable laptop running Windows 10 Pro with all my files back in place I 'might' just try it. I have used Chrome for years but there are times when it hogs too much of the system. I switched to FF a few months ago and hated it every day I used it and found it was a system hog also so I went back to Chrome. I have never trusted IE and the first Edge was installed at one point and I hated it. I've had numerous people that I've had to talk down from the "L"edge and put them back with IE, especially with older machines that have been upgraded from Windows 7. And, older people can't handle big changes. :)

Reaction score
I also never trusted IE and I had reservations about Edge at first, however, since the newest Edge is based on Chrome, I am confident to use it.
BTW: the latest Edge even has been pushed on the no longer supported Windows 7 and it works just fine there too...

Reaction score
I also never trusted IE and I had reservations about Edge at first, however, since the newest Edge is based on Chrome, I am confident to use it.
BTW: the latest Edge even has been pushed on the no longer supported Windows 7 and it works just fine there too...

Wow! Microsoft finally got something right? lol Well, I'm finally using my laptop again. I'm up and running 10 Pro and it seems to be ok. I still think I'll wait a bit to add Edge. :)

Reaction score
I dont know what some people do to always have problems with Windows version updates? The 2004 version update has improved my systems by at least 15% both in response and speed, my only answer to this is that allot dont do the basic maintenance on keeping windows uncluttered and/or the system is full of conflicting software.

Reaction score
I dont know what some people do to always have problems with Windows version updates? The 2004 version update has improved my systems by at least 15% both in response and speed, my only answer to this is that allot dont do the basic maintenance on keeping windows uncluttered and/or the system is full of conflicting software.

You are giving Microsoft a lot of credit here. There has never been a smooth, out of the box, upgrade for any version from the start with Win 3.1. I have had every version they have put out (except Vista, wouldn't touch that with a ten foot pole) and if you go back in time you will see Microsoft had to fix bugs way after putting it out for the masses. Either you have been very lucky or you aren't a heavy user. Be glad either way. :)

Reaction score
You are giving Microsoft a lot of credit here. There has never been a smooth, out of the box, upgrade for any version from the start with Win 3.1. I have had every version they have put out (except Vista, wouldn't touch that with a ten foot pole) and if you go back in time you will see Microsoft had to fix bugs way after putting it out for the masses. Either you have been very lucky or you aren't a heavy user. Be glad either way. :)

Marcycn, I’ve also used Microsoft Windows since late 80’s and beginning with Win 2.0 onwards, in those days I used it for a retail business and personal business use. And yes, I am a heavy user and have been for many decades and have learned how to and what not to do. Of course Microsoft had allot of problems in the evolution of Windows, its all part of the course but and until Windows 10 (and as far as I’m concerned) Microsoft has streamlined and has virtually devised an operating system that is very efficient and rarely goes wrong. They did have some problems, I admit (which I didn’t experienced at all with any updates and/or version updates) with v1903 May edition update which affected a very minute percentage of users like 0.00025% with e.g. brightness control on Intel GPUs, Audio does not work with Dolby Atmos headphones and home theatre, Folder in user profile empty, AMD RAID driver incompatibility, Upgrade error with connected USB devices and SD memory cards and Windows Sandbox ends with error “0x80070002” which was mentioned within many German forums, that happens when you cater for over 2 billion users.

In saying all this and as I’ve said before, Windows is like any other device, it has to be maintained, serviced and streamlined, both software and hardware wise and if users persist in using and installing all sorts of incompatible software and/or hardware and don’t clean their disks and updates out then problems will happen, with their operating system e.g. you have to do a "Disk cleaning" and the "Cleaning of system files" (after an update) also and what I recommend is for every user to back “Their Operating System” up with a reputable backup software.

Reaction score
Marcycn, I’ve also used Microsoft Windows since late 80’s and beginning with Win 2.0 onwards, in those days I used it for a retail business and personal business use. And yes, I am a heavy user and have been for many decades and have learned how to and what not to do. Of course Microsoft had allot of problems in the evolution of Windows, its all part of the course but and until Windows 10 (and as far as I’m concerned) Microsoft has streamlined and has virtually devised an operating system that is very efficient and rarely goes wrong. They did have some problems, I admit (which I didn’t experienced at all with any updates and/or version updates) with v1903 May edition update which affected a very minute percentage of users like 0.00025% with e.g. brightness control on Intel GPUs, Audio does not work with Dolby Atmos headphones and home theatre, Folder in user profile empty, AMD RAID driver incompatibility, Upgrade error with connected USB devices and SD memory cards and Windows Sandbox ends with error “0x80070002” which was mentioned within many German forums, that happens when you cater for over 2 billion users.

In saying all this and as I’ve said before, Windows is like any other device, it has to be maintained, serviced and streamlined, both software and hardware wise and if users persist in using and installing all sorts of incompatible software and/or hardware and don’t clean their disks and updates out then problems will happen, with their operating system e.g. you have to do a "Disk cleaning" and the "Cleaning of system files" (after an update) also and what I recommend is for every user to back “Their Operating System” up with a reputable backup software.

I stand by my comments. I have 3 windows machines and I know what I'm doing to keep them running smoothly. I still do tech work where I live and I'm the one 'streamlining' all their machines. I do backups - had one when the 2004 caught me. I'm quite good with PC's.

One point you may or many not realize is that Microsoft has beta testers that find a good amount of bugs but we - the masses - are their second line of testers. Waiting a month or two before upgrading gives Microsoft time to fix all the rest of the bugs. :)

Problem was, the machine - the one I'm typing on - not only gave me problems with the update but it lost the OS when I tried everything suggested in another Win 10 forum. As I said, there has never been a Windows update, out of the box, that didn't have problems - some major. I'm staying with 1909 on all three, at least for another month. 2004 got past me because I had unchecked metered awhile ago and forgot to check it again. My fault I got into the mess I did because of that but it wasn't because of anything I did or didn't do with my machine!

I'm glad to hear there are some out there who don't have problems. :)

Ask a Question