Window 10 Update wipes out wifi connection and Restore Points

Reaction score
Windows 10 Update Problems on July 20, 2016

Can anyone please help. Thank you. I am having 2 serious problems after a recent Windows 10 update. My computer is a Dell computer operating on Windows 7 previously, hardwired to a router. I upgraded to Windows 10 in December 2015 and it's been running fine. However, since the July 20, 2016 Windows 10 update, two serious problems have arisen:

1. My internet connection slowed to a crawl: It takes a long, long time to connect to the internet. (When the computer is turned on, there is no internet connection. When a browser is opened, it takes a long time to connect to any website. When a website is changed, it takes also a long, long time for the new site to be loaded. It just keeps churning and churning. This never happened before the July 20 update.) (My computer operates well if I don't go to the internet.) (I have another computer connecting wirelessly to the same WiFi, no problem after the update.)

2. Equally frustrating: The update wiped out my restoring points! (And it does not seem to be able to generate new restoring points.)

Last edited:
Reaction score
I would probably start by shutting off everything on your network, which means the computer, router and ISP gateway device. Give them some time and then turn them back on waiting a few minutes between starting with the far end or the gateway.

While that was happening, I would uninstall and then reinstall drivers for the Wireless Adapter. I would check the box which removes all previous drivers when doing so. If there are not drivers left on the system you will need to wait until your internet comes back to get specific ones. You may be able to download them from Dell if that system is provided with Win 10 drivers.

Some of the recent Win 10 updates have been causing connection problems. Also, if you run Chrome I have seen comments about certain versions of that causing problems.

Reaction score
I've already tried by shutting down the computer, powered off the router and un-installed and re-installed Chrome several times. Connectivity problems persist.
After establishing connection to the internet (after waiting for a long time), even just shutting down a browser disconnects the WiFi for this computer. Same problem for Chrome, Firefox and Internet Explorer. Also, putting the computer to sleep and re-awakening it disconnects the WiFi. Hence I suspect that a setting somewhere needs resetting, but where?

Ask a Question