Windows 10 1903 Restore Points being deleted

Reaction score
Recently updated 3 systems to Windows 10 1903. Prior to 1903 I created a restore point daily as a safe guard to my doing something stupid. Under 1903 I have tried to create a restore point daily to no avail. 1903 creates the restore point but deletes it within a short time frame (less than 24 hour) after the creation, so in essence I have NO restore point to fall back on should I need to do so. I have sufficient space allocated for restore points and have system restore activated. Also note restore point creation and saving worked before going to 1903. Does anyone know what is going on and if Microsoft is aware of this issue as I cannot find anything meaningful about how to address this issue? A friend also has this problem on two systems. This problem and the one I have with not being able to see computers on my home private network have cause me to curse a lot. Thanks for any help.

Reaction score
I have several restore points and have only done two manually, is restore definitely on?. :)

You might want to check if you have more than one partition!:

Reaction score
I have only one partition set. See attached file. Also I created a restore point on one system at 8:45 am this morning (see attached file) and at 10 am this morning I checked and the restore point I created at 8:45 was deleted (see attached file.)

Attachments

• System partition.JPG
    System partition.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 635
  • Restore Point creation.JPG
    Restore Point creation.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 600
  • No Restore point.JPG
    No Restore point.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 812
Reaction score
This is a known issue in Windows 10.
During the system restore process, Windows temporarily stages the restoration of files that are in use. It then saves the information in the registry. When the computer restarts, it completes the staged operation.
In this situation, Windows restores the catalog files and stages the driver .sys files to be restored when the computer restarts. However, when the computer restarts, Windows loads the existing drivers before it restores the later versions of the drivers. Because the driver versions do not match the versions of the restored catalog files, the restart process stops.

Try this
restore windows to a restore point by using WinRE

To start the System Restore wizard on an affected computer, use WinRE instead of the Settings dialog box. To start this process from the Windows desktop, follow these steps:
  1. Select Start > Settings > Update & Security > Recovery.
  2. Under Advanced options, select Restart now.
  3. After WinRE starts, select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > System restore.
  4. Enter your recovery key as it is shown on the screen, and then follow the instructions in the System Restore wizard.

Ask a Question