SOLVED Windows 10 64-bit version?

Reaction score
I upgraded from the 64-bit version of Windows 7 Home Premium. I seem to now have the 32-bit version of Windows 10.

Was this an error in the update process? Is there no such thing as a 64-bit version of Windows 10? If there is, can I upgrade to it? Where do I go to upgrade to it, if so?

Sorry, several questions in one post.

Doug

Reaction score
What process did you take to upgrade?
Did you let "Get Windows 10" App download, or did you manually download an ISO yourself?

Unless you are mistaken and you actually had Win7 32-bit, I don't understand how you could have Win10 32-bit from an upgrade path.

Reaction score
I did the "Get Windows 10" app, I didn't manually download anything. I did the automatic process.

Doug

Reaction score
Also, yes, I am positive I had the 64-bit version of Windows 7 Home Premium. However, while the are references to 32-bit all over in the support tools, under "System" on the main System display, which shows my processor type and speed, etc., it says 64-bit operating system and x64-based processor. On the same page, all it says for the actual operating system is Windows 10 Home, copyright 2015.

Is there a sure-fire way to determine if this is actually the 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows?

Doug

Reaction score
I'm certain you have the 64 bit version.

Look at the Root of C: and tell me if you see a "Program Files (x86)" folder. If you have both "Program Files" and "Program Files (x86), then you are 64 bit for sure. Only "Program Files" will be listed for the 32-bit system.

With a 64 bit system:
  • "Program Files" is used for 64 bit applications
  • "Program Files (x86)" is used for 32 bit applications to maintain 32 bit compatibility
With a 32 bit system:
  • Only one "Program Files" folder is needed

Reaction score
OK, kewl. There is indeed that folder. Funny, I had noticed that folder in my "Old Windows" folder, and when I looked I thought I didn't see it at all in my root C: folder, another reason why I was thinking I had the 32-bit version. (Well, that and half of the items on the old-style control panel mention 32-bit versions of various tools.)

OK -- I'll take this as solved. I guess Win10 just runs Flash poorly in all browsers no matter what, and background processes are giving my performance little jitters, because that's normal for Windows 10.

I sure hope they dope out some of those things soon...

Doug

Reaction score
No sooner asked for than done. Today's update included, among other things, a new version of the flash-util.exe file (if I'm remembering the filename accurately, but I know that's very close). After installing the update, flash videos and games are now working properly. So, kewl!

Haven't used other programs much yet, but overall things seem to be working a little faster. Glad to know MS is reacting to issues so quickly.

Doug

Ask a Question