Windows 10 boot loops when ethernet cable is unplugged

Reaction score
Win 10 32 bit will only load properly with Ethernet cable. Discovered this looping issue when I moved the PC and went to use Wi-Fi. Plug cable back in and everything goes back to normal. Troubleshooter doesn't find anything wrong. Any ideas?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Nope..... that's a new one on me.
What happens if after you've booted and Windows 10 has finished loading, you unplug the ethernet cable and try using your wireless?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
That doesn't sound good.
So it runs perfectly fine, without any other issue(s), just as long as the ethernet cable is plugged in?
AND
If you unplug it after the computer is up and running it crashes and commences a reboot loop until you plug it back in?

Is this a desktop or a laptop?
Are the network adapters (both wired and wireless) integrated on are they add-on cards and or dongles?

If you go to device manager and disable your wireless (please don't mess with your wired ethernet adapter) will it continue to do the same thing without an enabled wireless adapter?

Reaction score
This is a PC AMD, Mobo M2N SLI, 4 gb ram. Only the onboard Ethernet adapter is showing up in Device Manager. Can't install wireless software due to boot looping.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I don't see any integrated wireless related to the MoBo, so I assume it is an add-on card or USB Dongle.
Have you made sure that you are running the latest BIOS Firmware for that board along with the latest chipset driver.
OH my, that has an old nVidia nForce chipset, you may run into problems preventing MS from attempting to install some less than optimal drivers for that board.

Reaction score
Solved......I disabled the Ethernet Adapter and it stopped boot looping. Then I was able to enable Wi-Fi.

Reaction score
Just want to thank zx11blade for the solution. I had the same problem; upgrading from Win 7 to 10, AMD Athlon 64, Gigabyte MB. Upgraded to Win 10 via ethernet link only (upgrading while wireless adapter was alive kept terminating the install). But, had the same symptoms when I tried to put back the D-link DWA-182 wireless adapter. With the above solution, the adapter works without even an updated Win 10 driver.

Ask a Question