Windows 10 Boot Problem

Reaction score
So about 6 months ago, I updated Windows 7 to Windows 10 and I never ran into any major problems. Everything has been running smoothly until earlier today. Windows 10 downloaded an update and wanted to restart my PC. I clicked restart and then walked away. About 5 minutes later I came back and this screen was displayed. I shut down my PC and rebooted but still kept getting the same error code.
http://imgur.com/OH4kBc4

I then tried a System Repair using both a DVD and USB ISO of Windows 10 Repair, which gave me this message. And I have no way of accessing the log file.
http://imgur.com/RDPxcJY

My last step was attempting to reinstall Windows 10, which would keep my files intact but remove my settings and apps. I also tried reverting to a previous build. Never of these options worked and led me to this message.
http://imgur.com/ElFZjbl

I am at a total loss as to how to fix this problem. My best guess is that the update I installed somehow corrupted the Windows 10 OS. I have worked with and fixed Windows OS for years and I have never encountered a PC related problem I couldn't fix. I even tried accessing the drive contents in Ubuntu but the Windows 10 Hard drive wouldn't even display that it was connected. I tried another Windows 10 Hard drive and even that wouldn't acknowledge it was connected to my ailing drive. I would rather not wipe the drive and lose my contents so any help would be much appreciated.

Reaction score
I wonder if your drive has died. Can you get into the bios on the PC? and then check there if the drive is seen?

or if you have a spare PC connect the drive to it and then try the Linux test.

Is your PC a laptop? If so can you remove the battery and then replace it and try again.

Reaction score
I wonder if your drive has died. Can you get into the bios on the PC? and then check there if the drive is seen?

or if you have a spare PC connect the drive to it and then try the Linux test.

Is your PC a laptop? If so can you remove the battery and then replace it and try again.
I can access the BIOS and the drive does show up. I was able to access the contents of the drive on my other Windows 10 hard drive, and I have begun copying things over. The drive is working so something must have happened that corrupted the OS.

Its a desktop so no battery.

Looks like I will have to use Dban Boot and Nuke to wipe the drive and then reinstall Windows 10. At least I was able to get my contents off so its not that big of a deal.

I do wish their was a way to boot into Safe Mode. But as far as I'm aware, you cant unless you enable Safe Mode access after successfully Booting Windows 10.

Reaction score
You can enable safe mode which may be worth activating for future use.. ;)
By pressing [F8]

This no longer works in Windows 10, but you can reactivate it. Here’s how.

Right-click the Start button and select Command Prompt (Admin) from the menu that appears (this isn’t the usual Start menu).

Click the Yes button if prompted to allow the app to make changes to your PC.

7-1-W10-restart-F8.jpg-136400062758202601

Type — or copy and paste — the following into the Command Prompt window and press the [Return] key:

bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy

You should now be able to enter Safe Mode when restarting Windows 10 by pressing [F8].

7-2-W10-restart-F8.jpg-136400062758302601

Reaction score
Were you able to recover the file srtTrail.txt mentioned in one of your attachments? You should be able to recover it by booting to the recovery or install media and using the command prompt.

The first attachment seems to indicate something wasn't connected (or not usable) by the boot. I can only speculate as to what might be involved, but the drive not being recognized correctly may be one reason. Reaffirming the correct boot device is set as primary would be one step. If the correct device is not available to set then it would seem that drive/boot device is not being seen.

There have been times with a system was actually repaired but the Windows Repair system did not know. If you have done at least 3 repair operations on the Startup section, if a Cancel button is available, try that and it may actually boot.

Ask a Question