Windows 10 does not play WMV video files

Reaction score
Hi

Having recently updated to Windows 10, I am astonished (annoyed) to discover Windows 10 does not play WMV video files, particularly those created using Windows Movie Maker. There doesn't seem to be very much advice on this on the net and the following is short list of the tried and failed suggestions:

• Turning on/off WMP through Control Panel>Programs>Programs & Features>Turn Windows Feature On or Off.
  • Repeating the above then restarting my laptop twice, after which running sfc/scannow at the Command Prompt.
  • Disabling / enabling "Turn on DirectX Video Acceleration for WMV files" in WMP Options.
  • Troubleshooting Fix via Control Panel>All Control Panel Items>Troubleshooting>All Categories>Windows Media Player Settings - this just returns the message "Configuration settings might be set incorrectly" - but doesn't expand on what settings are wrong.

I also came across this "FIX: Updade to enable DirectX Video Acceleration (DXVA) of Windows Media Video content in Windows Media 10" at http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-10/support.

However after downloading the 'fix' (Download the WindowsMedia10-KB888656-x86-Global-ENU.exe package now.) it doesn't install - instead I get the error message "Not enough storage is available to process this command".

I appreciate that there are third party free WMV players available, but I liked WMP and cannot understand why it won't work on Windows 10. Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

Thanks

George

Reaction score
Are you sure you mean WMP not WMC? Media Centre was ditched with Win8.1 I believe and certainly in Win10. Although I read it could be enable with a cludge.

Reaction score
I upgraded from Win 8 to Win8.1 then, later to Win 10. Windows Media Player is still installed but it will not play WAV files no matter what I do. So, I've given up and switched to VLC - which is not a product I particularly like but it seems like I have no choice.

Reaction score
Hi

All I can tell you is that, I'm not having any problems playing WMV files in Windows Media Player in Windows 10.
I was just playing a bunch of my old files last night.

I do some codec packs installed and I think that installing Premiere Elements installs some more, though it does't seem like it should need them to run WMV files.

Anyway, you could try installing these...

http://download.cnet.com/Media-Player-Codec-Pack/3000-13632_4-10749065.html

Mike

Reaction score
Could I suggest you start a new thread and also provide details of windows and software?

Ask a Question