windows 10 error0x80070057 when updating

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi edgannon,

That error may be generated because of a couple of Registry flags. To confirm this I need you to do two reg queries for me and post the results back. If it is what I suspect then there is a simple fix.
  • Right-click on Start
  • Left-click on Command Prompt
  • In the Command Prompt window type or copy & paste the following commands.

Note: Press Enter key after each command to execute

Code:
    reg query "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsUpdate\UX" /v IsConvergedUpdateStackEnabled

Code:
    reg query "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsUpdate\UX\Settings" /v UxOption

Post the results back for both of these commands please.
Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
I don't know what might deny access in such a situation. But if you updated to Win 10 just before the latest upgrade was released, you may be restricted by the 30 day rollback option.

Regedit32

Reaction score
OK those settings are the default settings now.

In older builds of Windows 10 you could modify the first changing its value to 00000000 or 0x0 to give you the older component of Windows Update applet which allowed you to choose automatic and other options in updating.

Microsoft removed that option a while back though.

If you're using Windows 10 Professional you could open the Group Policy Editor by right clicking on Start, then left-clicking on Run and typing gpedit.msc and clicking OK.

From there navigate to:

Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update
> Configure Automatic Updates

When here make sure your settings are for Automatic. If its set to manual this will be why that error is popping up in this instance.

Reaction score
It is configured for auto., but still stops at 2% completed with same error message. Do you have any other suggestions?

Regedit32

Reaction score
The only other suggestion I can offer at this time is to download the Anniversary Update using the method I did.
  • Click Start > Settings > Update & security
  • Click Learn more
  • This opens your browser where you can click Get the Anniversary Update Now button
  • That will download a 5.5 mb executable file
  • Once downloaded, disable any antivirus software you have running
  • Now double-left-click that executable. A splash screen will open and it will verify your Systems CPU etcetera are ready for the update. If all is OK it will start downloading the 3.5GB update.
  • When that is done it will auto start the update in 25 minutes, or you can start immediately by clicking the option to start now. That update process took me roughly 1 hour.

Assuming all goes well and it updates for you - it will automatically keep all your current files and settings. Do not forget to re start your antivirus programs you disabled before updating.

Reaction score
Thank you for the help, but it still after 2% completed on the update it stops with same error.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Do you have enough space in the temp directory this update unpacks to?

Keep in mind its a massive update.

Reaction score
yes , now update runs to 80% and then gives error code 0x80004005. if MS can't get it right why not wait on updates until they can?

Ask a Question