Windows 10. Hmmmmm!

Reaction score
No big worry here. I have been obliged, for some time, to allow MS to monitor my activities. I am not totally naive as to the possibilities but, to date, there has been no interference of my work, and it has helped, possibly, when I have encountered a problem with the system.

I only have forum logins in the preview, this make sense to me. I would not at this stage put more sensitive information on, such as bank account logins etc. This is not a bad feeling regarding MS undercover work, but an issue with hackers, who will be working extra hard during this period!

Reaction score
Microsoft has given me the opportunity to play a probably insignificant role in the development of Windows 10 in exchange for my allowing them to peek in at the way I use a computer. I''m with you Dave in that I will not use the system for anything personal such as banking but I'm not concerned if Microsoft wants to see what I post here or other places. I know they're looking over my shoulder so I'll act accordingly.

w10

Reaction score
I have no objection allowing Microsoft to collect information relative to my use of Win 10; however, I do object to the fact they may be recording every keystroke and storing all those keystrokes in a database that could be compromised by some hacker down the road. Fortunately, I am limiting my use of Win 10 to just testing the new OS; however, many are using it as their primary computer and they are doing things like online banking and credit card purchases using Win 10.

Just for the record, I did a clean install of Win 10 and established a local login. Thereafter, I found an event log (upon every boot or restart) that indicates the keylogger was unable to start so maybe it is tied directly to an MS login? Furthermore, I was able to get rid of the event logs by disabling the Diagnostic Tracking Service.

In summary, I believe that Microsoft's intentions are good and the clollection of some user data is necessary; however, to record every keystroke and save all that data (somewhere in the cloud) could be a security risk. It seems like today's advanced hacking squads have no boundaries and they are getting even more resouceful as time passes.

Ask a Question