Windows 10 internet connection problems

Reaction score
afternoon everyone,

So a new Windows 10 update was downloaded to my laptop the other day. Since then, I have been unable to connect to the internet and upon entering task manager, it shows my disc drive at 100%. Ethernet doesn't work either and I can connect to wifi on my phone and my friends can connect on their laptops.

I have talked to support, but due to bad service in my area, I keep dropping the call. They've run through 2 network resets, multiple cmd commands (DNS cache flushed, renewing/releasing IP, winsock reset). I assumed the update caused this mess, so I uninstalled it, but the problems are still here.

I may try calling back when I'm in a better service area.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
The network problem may be associated somehow with "Fast Startup".
To check this out, next time you have an opportunity, try
Warm booting your computer. That is, instead of shutting it down completely, try a restart instead and see if your network becomes available magically.
IF that turns out to seemingly remedy the issue, then that might be at least a temporary work around for the time being.

Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
The network problem may be associated somehow with "Fast Startup".
To check this out, next time you have an opportunity, try
Warm booting your computer. That is, instead of shutting it down completely, try a restart instead and see if your network becomes available magically.
IF that turns out to seemingly remedy the issue, then that might be at least a temporary work around for the time being.

I have restarted it a couple times now. I'm seeing that others have had problems with connecting to the internet since the update. I may try manually assigning an IP to my laptop, and seeing if that fixes it.

What I don't know is why my disc drive jumps up and down from 100%, at least when I'm looking at it in task manager.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
What I don't know is why my disc drive jumps up and down from 100%, at least when I'm looking at it in task manager.
IDK either, but use the Performance Tab in Task Manager to launch Resource Monitor ( link at the bottom) and then use its' disk tab to view the Processes with Disk Activity, as well as the Disk Activity sections and that should give you some idea as to what's keeping your hard disk occupied.

Ask a Question