SOLVED Slow/Unstable Internet Connection After Updating to Windows 10

Reaction score
My interent on my custom desktop, as far as I can remember, has functioned fine for a long time now. However, after upgrading to windows 10 and having it around for a while, I noticed a sharp decrease in internet speed. I've tried multiple solutions, but nothing seems to have worked. It only seemed to start occurring after installing Windows 10.

My specs:
  • Service: Cable
  • Provider: AT&T
  • Connection: Wifi
  • Adapter: Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 + Bluetooth* for Desktop
  • Model: Custom
  • SpeedTest: 1.80 Mbps

Attempted Fixes (X = No effect, 0 = Some effect, ? = Unknown effect)

X Automatic Troubleshooter
X Driver update (Link: Intel Download Center )
X Virus Scan
X Removing excess browser extensions (Chrome)
X Clearing Cache (Chrome)
0 Booting to Ubuntu? (Faster speeds after idling for a while)
? Switching to Microsoft Edge (12 Mbps on 8/8, 2.41 Mbps on 8/9)
X Booting into Safe Mode with Networking (No Wifi option)
X Disabling Internet sharing option
X Disabled Power Saving option on Wifi adapter
X Switching to FireFox (2.12 Mbps)
X Turned off sending updates to other computers
X Turned off nearby A/V Receiver with bluetooth and radio
X Rolled back wifi adapter driver
X Updated Wifi Adapter via Windows Update

Notes

• Laptop with similar (if not the same) adapter connects normally (Acer Aspire V 15)
  • Started after Updating to windows 10 (May not have noticed until now
  • Worked fine on windows 7
  • Wireless Network Connection Status > General > COnnection > Speed: 144 Mbps ~ 52 Mbps
  • Analyzed hard disk for needed Defragmentation, 0% fragmented
  • Using http://www.speedtest.net/

Reaction score
I am new to the forum, and I don't know much about computers so if anyone can help please be gentle. I just installed windows 10 from 8.1 it took at least an hour. Then when I signed back in i am stuck at my desktop screen which keeps flashing and will not let me do anything. Please help

Reaction score
X Reset Network Settings ("ipconfig / release, ipconfig /renew")
X Uninstalling (and Deleting) Wifi Driver

Last edited:
Reaction score
I fixed it! Turns out it wasn't the operating system at all. Apparently I had mistakenly installed a program called "cFosSpeed Internet Accelerator + Ping Optimizer" during my transition to Windows 10, thinking it was an essential driver. I disabled it by going to Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network Connections > Wireless Network Connection Properties > Networking and deselecting "cFosSpeed for faster internet connections (NDIS 6)". This instantly improved my download and upload speeds. I've uninstalled it now, and XfastLan is bringing up an error, but the internet speed is still improved.

Reaction score
I do not see Network Connections as an option under Network and Internet. Only Network and Sharing Center

Reaction score
I do not see Network Connections as an option under Network and Internet. Only Network and Sharing Center

Try Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network Connections > Wireless Network Connection > Properties (under Right-Click) > Networking.

Reaction score
i had such a nightmare a while back when i decided to install windows 10. My computer would not do anything exxcept that the screen would shake. i tried to fix it and had someone on the phone trying to help me. did not help. i was freaking i thought i ruined my laptop. being kind of new to all this it was bad. anyway all by my self i figured out how to get back to windows 8.1 which i loved anyway. thats why i was so upset and kicking myself for changing something i already loved. so i am happy for now to be using 8.1 and maybe when they work out more of the shitstorms ill try it again. best of luck

Reaction score
I know how you feel my friend, because I asked this very question myself :)

ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ ㅤ

The thing is with the new Windows 10, there are quite a lot of new features and changes which takes up more of your internet, which then results in your internet being slow.

There are a few simple tweaks you can make to fix your slow internet on Windows 10 and I’ll show you step-by-step on how you can do that within a few seconds.

This is for you, the full exclusive guide

10 ****-Easy Ways to Fix Slow Internet on Windows 10 (+Screenshots)

As promised here’s how you can fix your slow internet on your Windows 10 :)

If you need screenshots to help you guide through the process and do it in just a few seconds, grab your free full exclusive guide. :)

1. Close the Peer to Peer Update Process on Your Computer

I actually did this when I first got my laptop which came with Windows 10, and let me say it did have a great effect on my internet speed.

Step 1: To start off, Click Start and then go ahead type Settings to open it.

Step 2: Next select Update and Security

Step 3: Now click on Advanced Options

Step 4: You’re almost there! Click on Choose How Updates are Delivered.

Step 5: Finally, go ahead and turn off the On button.

Now you no longer need to send your own precious internet for complete strangers around you.

ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ ㅤ

2. Quit your background apps

There’s two parts to do this.

ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ ㅤㅤㅤㅤ

Find out which of your apps take up most of your Internet

Here’s how you can see which of your apps take up most of the internet and how to turn it off.

Step 1: Start off by right-clicking the Windows Taskbar. Open Task Manager. (You can also search on your computer or ask cortana on Windows 10)

Step 2: Once you’re in your Task Manager’s menu, click on the Performance tab.

Step 3: Now click on Open Resource Monitor from the bottom part of the window.

Step 4: Lastly, click on the Network tab and check for all your apps or services that have a high number of send and receive requests.

The way it works is, the higher the number, then it shows that these apps or services are taking a chunk of your internet bandwidth.

Quitting your Apps

Since now you have an idea or sort of which of the apps or services that takes up most of your internet, you can now get onto disabling them.

Here’s how you can do that in just two little steps.

Step 1: Click on Start and then select your Settings.

Step 2: Next click on Privacy, and then Background apps. Here’s where you can turn Off for the apps and services that feed off your internet.

3. Adjusting your Internet Bandwidth settings

Your Windows actually keeps away 20 percent of your Internet bandwidth just for its OS and other system-related ‘stuff’.

What does this mean?

Well, since you only have the remaining 80 percent for you to use, you can actually get back that 20 percent for you to use.

Here’s how you can do that in just six simple steps.

Step 1: Go ahead and get the Run window up by clicking on Windows key+R key on your keyboard. (You can also search for it on your computer)

Step 2: Type gpedit.msc in the search box and then press OK.

Step 3: Alright! Now you will find that the Group Policy window will come up, so what you have to do here is just click on Computer Configuration

Step 4: Next go to Administrative Templates, then Network, and lastly QoS Packet Scheduler. Once you’re here click on Limit reservable bandwidth

Step 5: Now in the new window that comes up, all you have to do is just two things. First choose Enabled and then change the Bandwidth limit (%) to 100.

Step 6: Make sure that you Apply these new changes that you just made and then click on OK.

That’s it! :)

Read more at Saint

Reaction score
After Installing latest Windows 10 creators update, I faced "Windows 10 slow Internet" problem. But I found few solutions that can help you to increase or get original download Speed.

1. Disable Battery Saver Mode. (Because it reduce performance, And slow down internet speed)

2. Check Connected WiFi users. (Login into your Router Settings)

3. Disable Windows Delivery Optimization. (It allows to send system update to other users, using your Computer)

4. Disable Background Apps. (Go to settings)

5. Disable Large Send Offload.

6. Uninstall all third-party proxy Apps.

You can find more solution in this Article. Fix Windows 10 Slow Internet Problem.

PS - I know this thread is old, But still many users are facing this issue.

Ask a Question