Windows 10 Killed My Computer

Reaction score
Folks,
After 48 hrs. of BSOD my computer has finally died, won't even boot into Bios, anybody know what happened, did my HD give out?

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Is this a laptop or desktop?

Firstly did you make sure your PC hardware was able to handle windows 10? Did you install any windows 10 Drivers for your system?

Reaction score
HP P7-1221, only two years old and yes Microsoft stated it was compatible but the USB 3.0 Hub built into the motherboard wasn't so I installed drivers manually and that gave me the BSOD. Today after the machine was in the BSOD loop for about an half hour the machine just died. Not even BIOS.

Reaction score
this worked on an hp laptop that wouldn't post that i had.

uplug the power supply from the laptop and remove the battery and then hold the power button down for 1 minute.

install battery and plug in power supply and hopefully it will post.

you may have to reinstall your OS.

hope this works.

the poorguy

Reaction score
Hi mppanj12, The problem you are having is motherboard based however, I have the solution if you had a desktop not a lappy. Maybe you know the workings of the inside of your lappy so I will tell you what to do. You need to clear the CMOS, that way you will be able to get into your BIOS. Once inside your BIOS set everything to default and reboot. If you still get the BSOD you will have to reload windows. I suggest you load your original Windows and not Win 10. Hopefully you have already backed up your important stuff on another drive or discs, because when you do your installation you should choose "clean install" thus having C Drive formatted during the process.If you still get the BSOD after doing that you have a motherboard problem.

Reaction score
The computer is a desktop, I have Reset the CMOS and BIOS by switching the jumpers, also removed CMOS battery for a week. The computer still won't boot, I have reseated the processor and put new compound on it, I also tested the PS and it works also. Any More Ideas? How did Windows 10 harm my motherboard?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
How did Windows 10 harm my motherboard?
Upgrading your Operating System did not "harm your motherboard". It simply does not work that way.
Even the BSOD loop you describe after installing the USB 3.0 drivers would not harm the board.
I also tested the PS and it works also
I would like to know how your performed this test? Because the PSU is the first component I would suspect.
Second I would remove all memory modules and attempt to boot the machine and listen for beeps?
Then possibly re-insert a single stick into DIMM Slot #1 on the board and test again.
Not booting and not POSTing are two separate issues. Does your machine show anything on the monitor at any time after you have plugged it in and powered it on?
Does holding the escape key pre and post power on produce anything on the screen?
Have you performed a general inspection of the motherboard, looking for swollen or leaking capacitors?

Reaction score
"..so I installed drivers manually..." yet you headline "Win10 Killed my Computer". Hardly a fair summary!!

Ask a Question