Windows 10 login prompt nonexistent

Reaction score
Hi, all,

New to the site and quite the computer layman, so let me start with my computer's specs (per online literature):

Dell XPS 8300

Processor

Quad Core 2.8 GHz Intel Core i5
Graphics
AMD Radeon HD 6450 1GB
Storage
1TB HDD
RAM
6GB DDR3 SDRAM 1.33 GHz
Network Interface
802.11b/g/n
Operating System
Windows 7 (originally 7, then upgraded to 10)

OK, serious frustration has set in as my computer was fine just yesterday prior to a system update and a Malwarebytes installation.
I was running a few programs, including an online game I was playing, when I minimized the game to install a simple iTunes upgrade. I then clicked on the game to continue, then the screen went black, which I chalked it up to too many operations/programs at once. I couldn't seem to get things in order, so I proceeded to logout and login using my brother's account. He hasn't used my computer in a while, so when I logged on to his account I was immediately greeted with an upgrade, so I clicked to proceed. I believe I restarted after that, then the typical picturesque landscape appeared via Windows, along with the time and date at the bottom left, but no login prompt.

I've tried everything on the blue page options screen, eg., Recovery Tool, Startup Repair, Startup Settings, etc., but with no luck. I was able to "uninstall latest quality updates", but not the "latest feature update". I even tried System Restore, but there weren't any restore points available. Then, after reading another related post, I attempted to use the Command Prompt with the following commands: "Bootrec /rebuild bcd", "Bootrec /fixMBR", then "Bootrec /Fixboot". I was successful with the first two commands, but the third command said "access denied."

I'm not sure what to do next as I feel I've exhausted all the possible options that I'm able to try. Perhaps there's something else I could try with the Command Prompt, but I don't have any knowledge of such information.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Lefky

Reaction score
Hi Lefky,

I assume you can access the power button on the bottom right of the login screen?, if you can, press and hold the shift key and click on restart which will take you to "Advanced options", of if you have a copy of Win 10 on a bootable USB stick or DVD, you can also try "Advanced options" by clicking on the button and troubleshoot your problem!. :)

And:

Reaction score
I assume you clicked Enter to bring up the log in screen & nothing happened?
Try ctrl, alt + delete to see if that brings up the log in screen.

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. As I mentioned in the op, I entered the Advanced Options screen and have tried both a system reset (choosing to keep my files) as well as the ctrl, alt,+ delete, unfortunately, neither one has done the trick. I have also tried starting tried booting in Safe Mode, only to be greeted with the same landscape pic with the time and day and no login prompt.

Is there something I could try with the Command Prompt?

Reaction score
Hi Lefky,

another option for you if you cannot reset your current system, please read the thread carefully!. :)

Reaction score
Thanks for the link, unfortunately I can't reach the on-board tool screen to attempt a reset there as I can't login. I did however try a reset from the blue options screen, which is the only options I have access to right now without a login. When I attempted a reset it said "There was a problem resetting your PC. No changes were made." I also attempted another system restore, but the restore point was from yesterday and it failed to complete anyway.

I've attached a couple of stills from the options screen that I've been using.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    555.9 KB · Views: 129
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    739.4 KB · Views: 128
Reaction score
Hi Lefky,

how old is the disk drive and what type is it, HDD SATA or SSD SATA? (or possibly an old IDE drive!). The drive may be corrupted and you may need a new one?. :)

Reaction score
I've never upgraded or replaced anything, so I'm fairly certain it's HDD (1TB). It was working just fine prior to this upgrade, so I'm thinking that's the culprit. Maybe it's a startup driver issue or some corrupt file, etc.?

Reaction score
A good reason to make sure you always make back-up copies of such files onto an external drive like a USB storage device!.

Anyway, if you follow the guide below, you should be okay and will be able to save your data. :)

MAKE VERY SURE THAT YOU CLICK ON THE CORRECT PARTITION FOR THE FRESH INSTALLATION AND DO NOT FORMAT IT OR YOU WILL LOSE EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!. IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING; GET SOMEONE TO HELP YOU. :cool:

Reaction score
Sorry for the delay. How do I download the Media Creation Tool and run it when I can't login to my account? Could I download it from another pc and place it on a flash drive, then run it off of there somehow? I don't know anyone whom is computer savvy enough to help with this sort of problem and I'm a bit nervous to select the wrong partition, etc.
Incidentally, I hit f12 on startup and got to a "Dell ePSA Pre-Boot System Assessment" screen - I ran the tests and they all passed. I've attached a screenshot in case that was of any help/interest.

Attachments

• 20201110_163950.jpg
    20201110_163950.jpg
    286.1 KB · Views: 124
Reaction score
Yes, you run this & choose to create media for another PC. Then choose the USB drive which should at least 8Gb.

Ask a Question