Windows 10 RTM

Reaction score
Just curious, when the windows 10 officially is released, and it has been downloaded to our computers for install, will we be able to keep using the preview that we have installed or will we have to do a complete windows 10 install?
Or will we have to completely revert our computers back to windows 8.1 or windows 7 before we can install the new windows 10.
I would like to keep the computer running the way it is with this edition.
Your thought on this matter would be appreciated.
Thank You ---kb7uar

Reaction score
1. If you have installed the preview over your genuine Win 7 or Win 8.1, you are automatically entitled to a free upgrade to Win 10 RTM on July 29th, and the upgrade will be done via Windows Update.
You do NOT have to revert back to Win 7 or Win 8.1 at all.

2. RE : will we be able to keep using the preview that we have installed or will we have to do a complete windows 10 install?

The choice is yours. Please read this excerpt......
  • Do you want to continue as a Windows Insider and keep getting preview builds after 7/29?
  • Or do you want to upgrade your Genuine Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 system that has been getting Windows 10 Insider Preview builds to the 7/29 release and stop being an Insider?
“I want to continue as a Windows Insider!” If you want to continue as a Windows Insider past 7/29 there is nothing you need to do. You’re already opted in and receiving builds in the Fast or Slow ring depending upon your selection. This is prerelease software and is activated with a prerelease key. Each individual build will expire after a time, but you’ll continue to receive new builds so by the time an older prerelease build expires you’ll have received a new one. Since we’re continuing the Windows Insider Program you’ll be able to continue receiving builds and those builds will continue to be activated under the terms of the Windows Insider Program. We provide ISOs for these builds for recovery from any significant problems, but they are still pre-release software. As part of the program we’ll upgrade Insiders to what is for all intents and purposes the same build as what other customers will get on 7/29, but that will be just another build for Insiders, and those who stay in the program will simply get the next build after as well.

“I want to opt out of the Windows Insider Program on 7/29.” If you decide to opt-out of the program and upgrade to the 7/29 build you will be subject to exactly the same terms and conditions that govern the offer* that was extended to all Genuine Windows 7 and 8.1 customers. This is not a path to attain a license for Windows XP or Windows Vista systems. If your system upgraded from a Genuine Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 license it will remain activated, but if not, you will be required to roll back to your previous OS version or acquire a new Windows 10 license. If you do not roll back or acquire a new license the build will eventually expire.

Source

Last edited:
Reaction score
1. If you have installed the preview over your genuine Win 7 or Win 8.1, you are automatically entitled to a free upgrade to Win 10 RTM on July 29th, and the upgrade will be done via Windows Update.
You do NOT have to revert back to Win 7 or Win 8.1 at all.

2. RE : will we be able to keep using the preview that we have installed or will we have to do a complete windows 10 install?

The choice is yours. Please read this excerpt......
  • Do you want to continue as a Windows Insider and keep getting preview builds after 7/29?
  • Or do you want to upgrade your Genuine Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 system that has been getting Windows 10 Insider Preview builds to the 7/29 release and stop being an Insider?
“I want to continue as a Windows Insider!” If you want to continue as a Windows Insider past 7/29 there is nothing you need to do. You’re already opted in and receiving builds in the Fast or Slow ring depending upon your selection. This is prerelease software and is activated with a prerelease key. Each individual build will expire after a time, but you’ll continue to receive new builds so by the time an older prerelease build expires you’ll have received a new one. Since we’re continuing the Windows Insider Program you’ll be able to continue receiving builds and those builds will continue to be activated under the terms of the Windows Insider Program. We provide ISOs for these builds for recovery from any significant problems, but they are still pre-release software. As part of the program we’ll upgrade Insiders to what is for all intents and purposes the same build as what other customers will get on 7/29, but that will be just another build for Insiders, and those who stay in the program will simply get the next build after as well.

“I want to opt out of the Windows Insider Program on 7/29.” If you decide to opt-out of the program and upgrade to the 7/29 build you will be subject to exactly the same terms and conditions that govern the offer* that was extended to all Genuine Windows 7 and 8.1 customers. This is not a path to attain a license for Windows XP or Windows Vista systems. If your system upgraded from a Genuine Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 license it will remain activated, but if not, you will be required to roll back to your previous OS version or acquire a new Windows 10 license. If you do not roll back or acquire a new license the build will eventually expire.

Source
So. I have been an Insider since January. Getting the updates on my trusty Lenovo laptop. The10130 build caused something to go disastrously wrong and I had to do a clean build from ISO. After that, none of the Lenovo software and presumably the old recovery partition contents exist. This machine was bought refurbished ( by Lenovo USA) and licensed for W8 and upgraded to 8.1 but I have no DVD, no activation code sticker on the case.
How can I prove that this is a machine valid for the permanent upgrade to RTM ?

My main PC has received the Windows update for the RTM W10, my test desktop has a W7 official DVD.
I don't have a problem buying W10 for the laptop but if I don't have to...

Reaction score
As far as I understand it, your laptop is automatically eligible for a free upgrade.
I don't think you have to prove anything. Your Win 8 product key is embedded in the bios. MS should be able to tell it's genuine.

Reaction score
Ok, thanks for that. The Lenovo has a button that when pressed when the machine is off produced a menu.
Normal start
Bios
Boot menu
Recovery.
I only had occasion to try this after the machine went squirrelly after a couple of days of 10130 working well.
Since the rebuild from ISO of 10130 Bios and Boot menu just go off and start the OS. Recovery used to have a sub menu with useful looking stuff but since 10158 just has a Recover or don't recover switch.

Reaction score
I understood that any one that is a "registered Insider" and having either installed Windows 10 Preview over their existing Windows 7, Windows 8/8.1, or on a clean hard drive are eligible for a free licensed copy of the July 29 release. Those with the 7 and 8/8.1 license have up to a year to upgrade.

Reaction score
I understood that any one that is a "registered Insider" and having either installed Windows 10 Preview over their existing Windows 7, Windows 8/8.1, or on a clean hard drive are eligible for a free licensed copy of the July 29 release. Those with the 7 and 8/8.1 license have up to a year to upgrade.

Not on a clean hard drive.
Insider Preview has to be installed within a qualifying OS, ie. Win 7 and Win8/8.1, in order to be eligible for a free upgrade to Win 10 RTM.

Reaction score
As I read the rules, if you have Windows 10 preview installed on a clean hard drive you can continue to use it as long as you remain a member of the Insiders Program and continue to receive and install pre release updates. If you at some point opt out of the Insider Program your Windows 10 install will expire and become useless. Upgrading from a qualifying version comes without strings attached except you cannot move it to another computer or make a major hardware change such as a new motherboard which will cause Windows to view it as a new computer. If you buy a new computer it will probably already have Windows 10 installed but if you build you own you will need to do your own install. I imagine that if you do this during the first "free" year and install one of your Windows 7 or 8.1 programs you can probably upgrade it to Windows 10. Do it after the "free" year though and you will have to buy a retail version of Windows 10 just as you have with past upgrades. I don't know if they will offer a cheaper "upgrade" version and a more expensive full, stand alone version as they have with past upgrades.

Reaction score
Believe anyway you want.
It's no more than 3 weeks and we will know the real answer.
So my question originally was in essence. After reinstalling W10 from an ISO and note that I inserted a thumb drive and did setup.exe from inside the previous 'broken' W10 , will that official release via WU be a permanent installation.

I don't care from any point of view as I am planning to keep that machine in the Insider program but I could not determine from Microsoft's published blogs and announcements exactly what would happen. I guess that when the official release appears that some pop-up or notification will be definitive

Reaction score
..........So my question originally was in essence. After reinstalling W10 from an ISO and note that I inserted a thumb drive and did setup.exe from inside the previous 'broken' W10 , will that official release via WU be a permanent installation............

Why would you even bother with the above ?
If you want to stay as an Insider and continue to use and receive the Insider Preview, you don't have to anything.
Please go back to the top and read reply #2.

Reaction score
I am not going to do anything! My question was just for interest. You suggested that my laptop's W8 product key was embedded in the Bios and I believe you but I can't see the Bios/EUFI or whatever it is called now.

Ask a Question