SOLVED Windows 10 Stuck at Build 1909

Reaction score
Yes. choose upgrade now.
Try doing this offline, choosing not to download updates & then continue with the install.
If it still fails then a clean install is needed.

Reaction score
Yes. choose upgrade now.
Try doing this offline, choosing not to download updates & then continue with the install.
If it still fails then a clean install is needed.
Well I guess we've reached the end of the road then. :-(
I was hoping to figure out why it continues to happen and avoid another clean install. Oh well.

Reaction score
There’s just the offline upgrade. I expect when you tried to upgrade previously it was online & you chose to download updates.

Is there any possibility that you have any software installed which changes Windows settings, registry or blocks Windows updates? This can be drive/Windows cleaning software like CCleaner, IOBit Avanced System Care or similar?
Have you ever used the Windows update Mini Tool to block updates?

Reaction score
There’s just the offline upgrade. I expect when you tried to upgrade previously it was online & you chose to download updates.
@Trouble mentioned early that I should isolate the machine from peripherals and the web and run the upgrade from the ISO choosing not to download updates. As such, that is what I have been doing for the last week. I have not been running the upgrades online.

Is there any possibility that you have any software installed which changes Windows settings, registry or blocks Windows updates? This can be drive/Windows cleaning software like CCleaner, IOBit Avanced System Care or similar?
Have you ever used the Windows update Mini Tool to block updates?
I do not have CCleaner, IOBit, Advanced System Care or anything similar. I have never used Windows Update Mini Tool.

Reaction score
Hey! Before you reinstall make sure you know your windows 10 product key so you can relicense it!
Or this may have been mentioned but, you can reinstall without losing files by going to settings update and security>recovery>reset this pc, then choose keep my files>cloud download>next>reset (make sure you have fast internet connection preferably ethernet) there you go it will reinstall for you without losing files.

Reaction score
The reset from the cloud, has been mentioned and discussed in the threadd. I have a feeling, though, that under these circumstances he will just put the fault back again.

Reaction score
Folks, here are a few final comments/questions:

• At a minimum, I had really hoped to narrow down the cause, because according to my track record, this issue WILL return, even after a fresh install. At that time, I'll again be clueless about how to fix it.
  • I found some help on Google about how to get my license key before I do the fresh install. So I'll be sure to write that down first.
  • No, I'm not doing a cloud install. I will go scorched earth and completely wipe out the old.
  • Can I use the ISO to do the fresh install? In the attached image, do I just choose "nothing" for it to keep? Will that do a clean sweep of the machine?

Attachments

• SCREEN SHOT 1.jpg
    SCREEN SHOT 1.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 35
Reaction score
I would go for nothing. You do not know what is ausing the problem. As advised, copy anything personal somewhere safe.
you should not need a licence key. The original has been registered with your mother board, through the ms servers.
And yes, use the ISO. At the beginning of the installation, when you are asked to put in your key, tick “ I dont have this”

Reaction score
OMGsh! Case closed! I finally got it to work, with the help of some folks on another Win10 forum! I have been fighting with this for several years and it finally worked!! Win10 21H1 finally installed.

They had me pull some log files using SetupDiag.EXE, which I downloaded somewhere on Google. They were able to deduce that I had a few outdated apps that were being flagged in the update process. I removed my Evoluent mouse software, DiskCryptor, Dell Data Vault and nVidia graphics driver. I restarted the machine. I then ran the BAT file HERE to sweep out old update files. I then put it in clean boot mode as discussed HERE and restarted the machine. I isolated the machine by disconnecting all peripherals and web connections. I mounted the Media Creation Tool's ISO and chose Setup.EXE using Run As Admin. For updates, I selected (dot) not right now. The process chugged and finally loaded 21H1. Yay! Thank you folks for your help! I was about to give up completely!

Reaction score
Great news. Now! The next problem, have a trial and see whether you want to keep it or go back to 10. Lol:D

Reaction score
that its possible but I think so long as it is not a local reinstall it should be fine especially since its a brand new downloaded iso (I think).
The reset from the cloud, has been mentioned and discussed in the threadd. I have a feeling, though, that under these circumstances he will just put the fault back again.

Reaction score
Final post mortem: I am fairly sure Disk Cryptor was the culprit. I have a very similar machine with many of the same apps, that's been stuck at Build 1803 for several years. Today on that machine, I removed nothing but Malware Bytes and Disk Cryptor. I walked through the same steps as I laid out above. It finally updated to 21H1. Thank you folks!

Ask a Question