SOLVED Windows 10 Stuck at Build 1909

Reaction score
Try removing the quotation marks from the cmd. It may be I’ve added those by mistake. Or you can just ignore that entry.
Removing the quotes doesn't fix the DEL command. Is its syntax at the end correct, where is says qmgr*.dat ?

How about the catroot2 folder? I am unable to rename it.

Reaction score
No the syntax is fine. It is copied verbatim from various sources.
You can skip any which give an error.

I suspect there more problems than first thought.
I would try an in-place repair using the media creation tool:
Download this, run it & choose to upgrade now.

Reaction score
Is there no way to narrow down the root cause? I shared Event Logs. Were there any hints therein? There is a repeating history of this exact issue happening to my Dell laptops, ever since Win10 was introduced (Win7 never gave me this trouble). Nobody is able to tell me why, and wiping the drive clean for new installation is the only answer I ever get. Rebuilding the machine, knowing it will happen again, is a painful process.

Reaction score
Have you tried resetting the update components?
Open cmd prompt/powershell with admin & enter:
Net Stop bits
Net Stop wuauserv
Net Stop appidsvc
Net Stop cryptsvc
Ren %Systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore DataStore.bak
Ren %Systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution\Download Download.bak
Ren %Systemroot%\System32\catroot2 catroot2.bak
Del "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr*.dat"
Net Start bits
Net Start wuauserv
Net Start appidsvc
Net Start cryptsvc
Restart the PC & try updating again.
No luck. I walked through these commands above. I found something on the web that explained how to manually clean out catroot2, which was finally successful. I restarted the machine and isolated it (i.e., no peripherals, no mice, no monitors, no keyboard, no web, etc.). I ran the update from the ISO using admin privileges and it failed again. What else could it be? Is there nothing useful in the Event Logs I shared?

Reaction score
Hello! I hope I can find an answer here.

I'm desperate. Joining this forum and asking my question is my last attempt before formatting the machine and re-installing Windows from scratch. My Win10 Pro machine refuses to update to any newer builds (I think the latest is 21H1). Here are some specs:
  • Dell Precision P7530 laptop
  • Windows 10 Pro
  • Version 1909
  • System Type is x64-based
  • System SKU is 0831
  • Processor is Intel Core i9-8950HK CPU @ 2.90GHz, 6 cores, 6 logical processors
  • 64Gb RAM
  • Sound device is Realtek Audio
  • Display is NVIDIA Quadro P3200
  • Display adaptor RAM is 1,048,576 bytes

I have tried various things with my company's IT experts, to no avail. I read the thread HERE and tried the suggestions. Namely, I disconnected all of my peripherals. I went through my Device Manager one-by-one and chose "update driver > search automatically" for every single device (about half-dozen devices updated). I used the Media Creation Tool to attempt the update, to no avail. It chugs for an hour and appears to be working. But then I get the errors shown in my attachments. First SCREEN SHOT 1 appears. It then reboots itself a few times while restoring the 1909 version. Then I log into the machine and get the error shown on SCREEN SHOT 2.

I'm at the end of my rope and don't know what else could be wrong. Like I said, I have summoned the help of my company's IT, to no avail. I had a very similar problem on another Dell laptop a few years ago. Nothing I ever tried would work, until I finally wiped the machine clear, and reinstalled the OS from scratch. But oddly on that old machine, the problem came back when the next big build was released. I'd really like to avoid wiping the drive clean on this new Dell. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!:)
Do not format until you talk to Microsoft.

Reaction score
Google told me about a Windows update log in "C:\WINDOWS\WindowsUpdate.log" Today I woke up at 5:30 and started another update attempt. I walked through the preliminary steps that were presented earlier in this thread to clear out the update history. I then started the update around 6:15'ish. I ran it from the ISO, completely isolated and disconnected from the web and peripherals. It failed again. I dug out the log at "C:\WINDOWS\WindowsUpdate.log" and have attached it here. It's very cryptic to me. Does anyone see anything in there that may be a clue?

Attachments

• WindowsUpdate.txt
    137.1 KB · Views: 41
Reaction score
The solution, imho, lies with Trouble’ post, which appears to have been ignored - a clean install

Reaction score
The solution, imho, lies with Trouble’ post, which appears to have been ignored - a clean install
Nobody's posts have been ignored here. I've carefully taken heed of every one and tried the suggestions. However, in my initial post, I made it clear that I was desperately trying to avoid a clean install. This issue is a repeat occurrence. I have experienced it with several Win10 MS build releases, with several Dell laptops. Nobody can tell me why it is happening and everybody defaults to "do a fresh install," which is the easy answer. Rebuilding the OS every time MS decides to issue a new build is ridiculous. I can do a fresh install, but as sure as the grass is green, the problem will come back at the next MS build release.

I'm here as a last ditch effort, to try and figure out why the problem keeps happening. I'm starting to lose hope.

Reaction score
If I was in the situation, I would, first copy everthing under my username to a safe place, snd then make an image, ditto. I would then go for the fresh install using the media creation tool Maybe nothing gained, but nothing lost9

Reaction score
You have a lot of Getserviceobject failures.

Reaction score
Two questions:
  1. The recent links from @Bastet refer to WSUS scenarios. I believe that refers to connecting with a company server that distributes the updates from the IT department. But my company does not have that setup. All employees' machines connect directly to Microsoft for their updates. So how do the aforementioned WSUS links apply to my scenario?
  2. During all of this testing over the last week, I have had my updates Paused in the update controls (see attachment). Would that impact my testing at all? My attempts have been using the Media Creation Tool, so I would guess that the paused updates would have no effect.

Attachments

• Paused Updates.jpg
    Paused Updates.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 36
Reaction score
If updates are paused then this will affect Windows updates including updating the OS.

Reaction score
If updates are paused then this will affect Windows updates including updating the OS.
<smack my palm against my forehead> That stinks. I guess I'll walk through the steps outlined herein again, with updates un-paused. Please standby and I'll report back

Reaction score
I feel like this has gone from bad to worse. Per the recent discussion, I have un-paused my Windows updates. However, it now shows an error when trying to connect (see attachment). This was not the case before I started this mess a week ago.

I really cannot believe how difficult this has been. I never remember this much trouble with updates in Win95, Win98, WinXP, Win7. This is a nightmare.

Do we think we have exhausted the expertise in this forum? I have tried everything folks have suggested. I have run several virus scans from suggestions here and the machine is clean.

Attachments

• Windows Update Error.jpg
    Windows Update Error.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 33
Reaction score
Search for services.msc & find Windows Update & ensure it is set to Automatic.
Are you using any third party antivirus/firewall software?

I would try an in-place upgrade using the media creation tool, download & run the tool, choose not to check for updates then continue with the installation.

Reaction score
Search for services.msc & find Windows Update & ensure it is set to Automatic.
Yes, it is set to Automatic and is running.

Are you using any third party antivirus/firewall software?
The only firewall is Windows Defender. I tried disabling it, to no avail. The only 3rd party antivirus is Malware Bytes. I have disabled it, to no avail.

I would try an in-place upgrade using the media creation tool, download & run the tool, choose not to check for updates then continue with the installation.
It's unclear to me what you mean by an "in place upgrade." I opened the Media Creation Tool and see an option for "upgrade now" (see attachment). Is that what you're referring to?

Attachments

• SCREEN SHOT 1.jpg
    SCREEN SHOT 1.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 41

Ask a Question