SOLVED End of Service message

RBC

Reaction score
Under Settings/Windows Update, a message says "Your version of Windows has reached the end of service". I'm currently running Windows 10 Home, version 1909, which I learned reached end of service on 5/11/2021. So....now what? Can I upgrade to a current version of Windows, and if so, how? Is there an additional cost to upgrade?

For months, my computer has failed to install update version 20H2 (I notice lots of other users have run into this, with install only reaching 61%). So now my version will no longer receive security updates.

There's no guidance on what to do next! Any assistance would help. Thanks.

Reaction score
Yes you can upgrade for free, the latest version is 20H1 which was just released.
To ensure a smooth upgrade:
Disconnect any external hard drives.
Disable any third party antivirus software.
Ensure all drivers are up to date.
If update is failing try downloading the media creation tool, running this & choose to upgrade now. choose not to scan for any updates (if offered this) & see if install completes.

RBC

Reaction score
Used the upgrade assistant link you provided. System said no compatibility issues. Appeared to complete the install, but no prompt to restart. I restarted and system us still running v1909.. Tried a second time. Currently at "Getting Your Update Ready" screen, stuck at 88% for 20 minutes so far.

Reaction score
As you were running 1909 it’ll have to run a full upgrade rather than just ‘unlocking’ the new features. This will take time.

RBC

Reaction score
Hmm, okay. Started the process about 0815 CT this morning (6 hours ago). Same page (Getting Your Update Ready) shows 99% complete for the past 2 hours. I let it process a while longer.

RBC

Reaction score
It has been nearly 24 hours, still 99% complete. Do I need to try Media Creation Tool instead of Update Assistant?

Reaction score
Is there any hard drive activity? Is the HDD light flashing/lit?
You can try the MCT rather than the upgrade assistant if you can safely stop the current install.

RBC

Reaction score
I restarted my computer earlier today. Does not appear the update is still in progress - can't find a HDD light.

Don't know why this is so complicated. I'm out of my depth on computers trying to do what should be fairly straightforward.

Reaction score
Is 1909 still installed? If yes then try the media creation tool, download the tool, run it & choose to upgrade now.

RBC

Reaction score
I ran the update troubleshooting tool earlier, and am now once again trying to get v21H1 using Upgrade Assistant. Stalled at 95% complete, so if not resolved later today I'll try MCT.

RBC

Reaction score
Read the instructions for downloading MCT, which, however, appear applicable to (a) upgrading a non-Windows 10 computer to Windows 10, or (b) creating an external drive/DVD with Windows 10 to do a "clean" install, a new copy of Windows 10, or to reinstall Windows 10. I don't follow. All I want to do is update my Windows 10 computer to the latest version! Not clear how using MCT will help.

RBC

Reaction score
Thanks for your help on initial steps. Appears fixed finally -- version 21H1 shows up under Settings/System/About on my computer.

I found the following link helpful to resolve the problem
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ck-at-99-861fd3a5-1b9a-35b5-4e5e-a502cfd65dc8

Link tells you to open File Explorer, go to C:\$GetCurrent, and copy the Media folder to the desktop; then restart; then copy and paste the Media folder from desktop to C:\$GetCurrent; open the Media folder there, click Settings, then follow instructions for the upgrade. Took about 4 hours to finish.

Reaction score
I’ve been working on this same problem since last spring with no success. I tried all the suggested fixes….including the last thing RBC posted. I had high hopes since his experience seemed identical to mine.

When trying the File Explorer instructions, I get an error message
“Windows can’t find ‘C:\$GetCurrent’. Check the spelling and try again.”

Is it possible to get a clean copy of the latest Windows 10 and just start from scratch? I don’t really have much data on this computer and I’ve already saved what I need on another drive.

I’m running out of patience and and not well suited to diagnostics and repair. Starting over would be my best bet.

Reaction score
Yes you can download the Media Creation Tool, run this & choose to create media on a USB or DVD (USB is better). Then boot the PC from the USB & choose to install Windows & when asked delete all partitions (if you have a data partition then leave this) & proceed with the install.
MCT/USB: https://www.microsoft.com/software-download/windows10

Reaction score
Sadly, this is one of the things I tried and it did not work. Now, it’s been months since I tried it but I believe it got all the way to the end and failed before reverting to previous install….1909. It took many hours.

Reaction score
It failed when clean installing or when running an in-place repair?
If it failed during a clean install (which I mentioned to do) then there’s nothing to roll back to as you need to delete all partitions on the disk during setup.

Reaction score
Under Settings/Windows Update, a message says "Your version of Windows has reached the end of service". I'm currently running Windows 10 Home, version 1909, which I learned reached end of service on 5/11/2021. So....now what? Can I upgrade to a current version of Windows, and if so, how? Is there an additional cost to upgrade?

For months, my computer has failed to install update version 20H2 (I notice lots of other users have run into this, with install only reaching 61%). So now my version will no longer receive security updates.

There's no guidance on what to do next! Any assistance would help. Thanks.

Hello,
I had the same issue over the last few weeks (Sept 2021) and would not download the new updates. Currently on version 1909.
I used the update to latest version of Windows tool, as the update would not load via Windows update on my pc, and tried other things mentioned online. Nothing worked, failed each time.

As someone has mentioned, you need to make sure all your drivers are up to date. I searched device manager on my pc, loaded the list, opened the drop down list for each item (Audio inputs and outputs, batteries, etc.. ) and right clicked on every option and selected update driver (search automatically).

My PC updated and downloaded about 6 new drivers, including the Bios system and sound drivers. All the other drivers stated already on best option. After all the drivers were checked and updated, the Windows update tool then downloaded OK and the system updated to 21H1.

On my other PC the drivers were all up to date, the latest versions, and loaded the new windows updates no problem.

Hope this helps, as it was a lot of hassle initially, to clear the end of service message and update to latest version. May not be the solution for all, but sorted the issue for me and was the only thing that seemed to work.
Thank you,

Last edited:

Ask a Question