SOLVED End of Service message

Reaction score
Thanks for your help on initial steps. Appears fixed finally -- version 21H1 shows up under Settings/System/About on my computer.

I found the following link helpful to resolve the problem
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ck-at-99-861fd3a5-1b9a-35b5-4e5e-a502cfd65dc8

Link tells you to open File Explorer, go to C:\$GetCurrent, and copy the Media folder to the desktop; then restart; then copy and paste the Media folder from desktop to C:\$GetCurrent; open the Media folder there, click Settings, then follow instructions for the upgrade. Took about 4 hours to finish.fol
Thank you for posting this solution. It solved my update problem.
I was not able to update my Windows 10 version 1909 to any later versions. MS's Update Assistant method was stuck at 99% for hours and went no further. However, it introduced the $GetCurrent folder in my C:\ drive. (My C:\ drive did not have this folder for reasons unknow.) So (1) I copied this $GetCurrent folder onto my desktop, renamed it to $GetCurrent0 to be sure that it would not be deleted or altered, (2) terminated the updating process with the Update Assistant, and (3) rebooted my computer. After the reboot, (4) I renamed the folder back to the original and copied it into the C:\ drive. Then (5) I clicked the Setup in one of the subfolders to start a new update process, following the directions given. The update was successful directly from version 1909 to 21H1, completed in about 3 hours or less.

Reaction score
I finally gave up. After trying most, if not all the suggested fixes, I tired of all the wasted time and frustration. I finally backed up the files on a handful of important folders and reset the computer to factory spec.

After an addition 9 hours, I finally went to bed, with the last stage of the process at 3%. When I awoke this morning, the OS was updated to 21H2. I was ready to begin the rebuilding with the necessary software, deletion of bloatware and unnecessary software, followed by system scans, driver updates and security scans.

I’m happy to report that after approximately 15 hours, the system is updated and humming along, nicely.

Good luck to all of you folks, who are still trying to diagnose your way out of this mess. Computers shouldn’t be this much work. In a perfect world, they’d be self-diagnosing and self-repairing.

Reaction score
@NFLMVP, so sorry you had to go through that. I feel the pain. I had been through it a handful of times already on the same PC as Microsoft released their new builds over the last few years. I was determined not to rebuild the OS this time, and instead figure out what was causing the issue.

I agree 100% with you that computers shouldn't be this much work. I had to really dig to find logs with clues on my problem. The update process should have been more helpful and forthright about the issue, rather than making me dig so far.

Nevertheless, we live in an imperfect world. ~shoulder shrug~

I'm glad you are up and running. :)

Ask a Question