Can't copy or send file to a usb

Reaction score
I find I can't copy or send a file to a usb. I insert the usb and locate a file any file right click on it and I go into a loop.
Please advise.

Reaction score
Hi Babs3,

what version of Win 10 do you have?. When you open File Explorer, is there a green progress bar showing in the address bar?. :)

Reaction score
I have two desktops and they both appear to have the same problem.
Also I seem to be able to share from one PC but not the other.
No green progress bar on File explorer on either. Version Home, Build 19041 on both.
When I click on Properties of the usb drive one Pc shows me a share path but the other PC says not shared.

Could it be that I had incorrectly set up D drive at the very start. Or could it be anything to do with the fact that I have been unable to set up a local network between the two of them.
I might be digressing here but trying to give you all the info I think might help to work out what's happening or rather not happening.:rolleyes:

Reaction score
Hi Babs3,

it is possible that you don't have your shares set up correctly if you are indeed running a home network, however, it may be that you didn't "safely remove" the USB stick from one PC and tried to plug it in to the other (see link below). The reason I ask is that the drive may be still linked to another PC?.

When you right click the USB drive in File Explorer > Give access to > Advanced sharing, what do you get?. :)

Reaction score
Well I have half a dozen usb drives that I use.
On one Pc they all say shared except for 2 usbs.
On the other PC they all say not shared.
So do I have to manually change them?
As I mentioned before the network is not working that's why I need to be able to copy and paste with the USBs from one pc to the other.

Reaction score
Hi Wolfie, thanks for help. I read your link and checked all my USBs and they are all set to Quick Removal. So this means I understand that they can just be pulled out rather than shut down first.

Reaction score
Hi Babs3,

I don't link any of my computers at home, I also use USB storage to transfer files as I am always afraid that if I have an infection, it will go from PC to PC!.

I can really only recommend you start at the link below and work through the tips. :)

Ask a Question