Windows 10 sucks

Reaction score
Well not all of Windows sucks. only sign in. My wife's laptop came with windows and everything has been fine for the past few years. Now, all of a sudden it won't accept her login. I tried warm and cold boots but neither works.

I upgraded my pc to windows 10 so her laptop and my desktop can talk to each other but I run into the same problem. More often on mine because I use mine more.

Why,in Gods name do we have to have a sign-in any!? We don't need it. Who is Microsoft to tell us we have to sign in. It's our equipment not there's.

Reaction score
Only the Microsoft Account requires a login. With a local account you can turn off sign in. The Microsoft account requires a sign in because it is not only the local machine at risk. Surely you can understand this.

I use the Microsoft account for activation when installing Windows 10. And then I switch to the local account so I don't have to sign in.

I have my complaints about Windows 10 and in the past had complaints about sign in. But with Windows 10 sign in, I don't have any complaints.

Reaction score
Only the Microsoft Account requires a login. With a local account you can turn off sign in. The Microsoft account requires a sign in because it is not only the local machine at risk. Surely you can understand this.

I use the Microsoft account for activation when installing Windows 10. And then I switch to the local account so I don't have to sign in.

I have my complaints about Windows 10 and in the past had complaints about sign in. But with Windows 10 sign in, I don't have any complaints.

If this were a business machine I would partially agree. If this were my business I would want to decide whether or not sign in is necessary. This isn't the government. If I paid for the software it is my right to decide how to us it, not Microsoft.

That being said, is there away that when I soft or hard boot my pc I don't have to sign in anywhere and what would be the steps I would take. I only want to do this because as I stated earlier, for no apparent reason my password doesn't get accepted.

Reaction score
Switch to a local account so your machine is not logging into a Microsoft Account which requires a password each time.

Settings >> Accounts >> Your info [tab to the left] >> Sign in with a local account

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
That being said, is there away that when I soft or hard boot my pc I don't have to sign in anywhere and what would be the steps I would take.
https://www.windows10forums.com/articles/log-in-to-windows-10-automatically.19/
Just tested that method on my clean install of Windows 10 creators update and it seems to still work fine.
It's important to note that you highlight the user you wish to auto login as, then uncheck the checkbox and on the next page, do not alter what ever appears in the account name, simply type in the password for the account twice in the two text boxes provide.
That should do it.
At least it has worked for me in multiple instances.

Reaction score
I'm Sorry but I'm a little slow. Which "Settings" would that be?

Reaction score
Thanks for that. Before I continue, will it affect the access between my wife's laptop and my pc? We are connect thru our Comcast WiFi.

Reaction score
Thanks for that info. What I have under Setting>>Accounts is:
- Your email and accounts which just loops
- Sign-in options which has Require Sign-in which is set to NEVER
-- Password
-- Pin
-- Work Pin
-- Picture Password
- Work Access
- Family and other users
- Sync your Settings
None give an option to Sign in with a local account

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
That is very weird. I see this.....

Capture.PNG

Which of course would be different if I were already using a local account, it would likely reference select a Microsoft account as the alternative.

Last edited:
Reaction score
And so as I said originally, Windows 10 Sucks! I just had to re-sign-in because my PC hung up and for my password it took the original password that had been changed 3 times.

In any case under Family & other users it has an option to "Sign in with a Microsoft account". Does this mean I'm already signed in locally? If so then where do I go from here?

Reaction score
And so as I said originally, Windows 10 Sucks! I just had to re-sign-in because my PC hung up and for my password it took the original password that had been changed 3 times.

In any case under Family & other users it has an option to "Sign in with a Microsoft account". Does this mean I'm already signed in locally? If so then where do I go from here?
Yes, you're signed in locally.
Your Microsoft Account & your local account can have different passwords; your local account can have no password.
It sounds like you have now signed in with your local password.
If you always want to log in automatically,
At the Run command, type the following netplwiz
Un-check the box for auto-login.

More info in this thread;
https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/disable-login-screen-netplwiz-did-not-work.8028/

Reaction score
Already did that. Of note, I can't select any other user than the one Highlighted

User accounts snapshot.png

Attachments

• User accounts snapshot.png
    User accounts snapshot.png
    34.5 KB · Views: 614
Reaction score
That's "normal", can only select the account you're currently logged into.
Check the box, then select properties, enter password, select OK.
Then uncheck the box, select OK.

You have 7-8 users on one machine?
Everybody has HomeGroupUser$

Delete the ones you don't need.
Advanced tab---Advanced User Management---Users

Reaction score
Thanks. Was able to delete extraneous users (Don't know how they got there). Can't use Advance Tab>>Advanced User Management>>Users. Say I can't use it with my version of Windows 10. Use control panel >>User accounts. That has always only showed 1 user as opposed to the 8 shown above.

I have windows 10 Home by the way.

Snapshot_1.png

Please note next to my picture still show password protected

Reaction score
If this were a business machine I would partially agree. If this were my business I would want to decide whether or not sign in is necessary. This isn't the government. If I paid for the software it is my right to decide how to us it, not Microsoft.

That being said, is there away that when I soft or hard boot my pc I don't have to sign in anywhere and what would be the steps I would take. I only want to do this because as I stated earlier, for no apparent reason my password doesn't get accepted.

Any OS that does syncing for you requires a sign in. The advantage is it stores settings under your account. Well you do have the right to use as you want to. But you don't own the software, You own the license to use the software.

Reaction score
That wouldn't be a problem if it worked. I assume then that you haven't read all the threads. If it worked all time I wouldn't be asking to bypass the sign in. I dread having to reboot my machine because it's a shot in the dark whether I'll be able to sign in again.

Reaction score
Nowadays Windows 10 sucks mainly because of its forced automatic updates. In the old versions of the Windows operating system, the update was optional. That is, you can decide if you automatically update your system or don't want an update. This feature is quite useful.
See: https://technumus.com/windows-10-sucks/

Reaction score
Nowadays Windows 10 sucks mainly because of its forced automatic updates. In the old versions of the Windows operating system, the update was optional. That is, you can decide if you automatically update your system or don't want an update. This feature is quite useful.
See: https://technumus.com/windows-10-sucks/
That's what I like about it. Makes sure you are current like most OS's. Although it doesn't force you to upgrade to Windows 11.

Ask a Question