SOLVED Windows 10 sudden slowdown and audio crack

Reaction score
I bought a new Dell laptop with Windows 10 recently. Suddenly, one day, it went slowdown with audio crack. After I week, I sent my laptop back to the outlet (last month) to fix it. They told me to change from HDD to SSD and fixed the audio problem. When I got back my laptop everything seemed ok until yesterday. The same problem occured again. I didn't do anything out of ordinary except connecting a sd card to transfer some files from my laptop to the sd card and I also noticed there're a few auto windows update on the day before. Kindly advice.

Reaction score
Hi 2haist,

have you checked as to whether you have the latest version of Win 10?. You mentioned updates and a shop return, did you get any info as to what they did in the shop?. Do you have the microphone set way too high as that might cause feedback?. :)

Reaction score
Hi 2haist,

have you checked as to whether you have the latest version of Win 10?. You mentioned updates and a shop return, did you get any info as to what they did in the shop?. Do you have the microphone set way too high as that might cause feedback?. :)

I guess so. It said that I'm up to date.
From the Windows Spec:
Edition: Windows 10 Pro
Ver: 2004
OS build: 19041.508

They didn't told me what they did to fix the problem, they just suggested me to change the hard disc & showed me that the audio problem has been solved. I set the volume less than 50.

Attachments

• c1.PNG
    c1.PNG
    40.6 KB · Views: 177
  • c2.PNG
    c2.PNG
    30.4 KB · Views: 180
  • c3.PNG
    c3.PNG
    28.2 KB · Views: 171
  • c4.PNG
    c4.PNG
    39.5 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:
Reaction score
Yesterday, I noticed the audio seemed back to normal 1~2 hours before I turned my laptop off. I turned on my laptop early in the morning (around 7 am) & turned it off around 11 pm. This thing also happened before, the slowdown & the audio lagging/crack returned back to normal 1~2 hours before I turn my laptop off late at night. Before I sent my laptop to the outlet, I've tried many things trying to solve the problem including uninstall latest update, reinstall antivirus app, recovery through system restore, do the audio troubleshooting, etc but nothing worked. And this morning I found this (pls refer to the attached file). What does it mean?
Also, the audio would lag more obviously when I run other app at the same time, or use the keyboard/mouse (like scrolling) actively.

Attachments

• c5.PNG
    c5.PNG
    11.7 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:
Reaction score
@2haist...

I read through this thread and something I did notice .. according to your "screen snip" in your last post is that you are using a "generic audio driver" .. in MY experience that CAN cause issues... it's GENERALLY best to go to the manufactures of the "chip" rather than the computer(in this case Dell) itself to get the most updated drivers .. it CAN be a pain in the backside .. but MANY TIMES worth it in the end

I would advise .. going to the Dell site OR Realtek site and download the SPECIFIC driver for you sound chip...

If you use the Dell site .. it SHOULD be included in... I believe chipset drivers SPECIFICALLY for your model/style of laptop .. which if I'm not mistaken Dell site SHOULD be able to auto-identify via the embedded service tag when you go there...Dell support site

OR
If you use the Realtek site .. you would have to know what chip is being used for sound do a search for the specific chip ... and download the drivers and install them.

In order to identify the SOUND CHIP .. you can use quite a few different programs to find that out ... I PERSONALLY recommend .. Speccy or any other recommended software that looks deeper into your than Windows device manager(in my opinion) ...

Just remember whichever way you go you want to MOST RECENT(newest) driver available for your sound chip OR chipset.

Best of luck,
LoneWolf

P.S. IN MY OPINION... any shop worth their reputation WILL/SHOULD tell you EXACTLY what they did to your machine.. and explain to you as best they can so you can understand what they did.

***edited to add Dell support site direct link ***

Last edited:
Reaction score
@lonewolfmage
I downloaded Speccy yesterday but it didn't state specifically what type of 'sound chip' it is (pls refer to the attachment).
Anyway I went to Realtek site to download the latest Realtek HD Audio Driver for my Windows 10 and installed it. Unfortunately, it doesn't solve the audio problem. I still can hear cracking audio but Windows runs better than the1st day when the slowdown started to occur.

I also downloaded Dell's Support Assist app and run a scan to optimize the system . I got the result as per attachment below. I've no idea what it meant with "USB Composite - Misconfigured."

What else I could do?

P/S: I really don't know about any technical stuffs but I have feeling that something (app or background running process) caused the audio problem because after many hours, everything will back into normal state. Windows runs smoothly and the audio crackling is gone. But, on the next day, the same problem occurs again once I turn on my laptop. *sigh*

Attachments

• c7.PNG
    c7.PNG
    26.8 KB · Views: 165
  • c6.PNG
    c6.PNG
    44.5 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:
Reaction score
USB Composite - Misconfigured
Hi 2haist,

there are several suggestions on the following link including downloading all drivers for your Dell!. :)

Reaction score
@2Haist~

As far as the USB issue .. what you COULD try doing is in Device manager ...scroll through the list of items listed there and see if there are any items with a Question mark and/or exclamation point that show up... IF so .. you could TRY removing the troublesome device by right-clicking on it and going to properties and choose to Remove the device or devices ., and then REBOOT (power cycle) your system and see if Windows finds the device again and fixes it ... sometimes a driver gets corrupted for an odd reason or another and essentially what you are doing is "refreshing" the system and forcing it to "re-find" the device and reinstall the driver of it and then rechecking device manager and see if the marks have disappeared if the marks don't show back up .. your good to go. if they do .. then there may be something else going on .. and takes a bit more troubleshooting to figure it out.

I was having a similar problem(USB misconfiguration issue) a while ago on my computer(custom/self-built desktop) and it took a bit to figure out the problem .. what it actually ended up being was a defective external device cable and when I took it off and replaced it with a known working cable and it fixed the issue...

As far as the audio "crack" are you hearing it thru the laptop speakers AND if you plug a headset in (wired or wireless/USB)... if you have one .. do you hear the same "crack" thru the headset??? if you hear the "crack" with a NON-usb wired headset plugged into the audio port then its POSSIBLY a sound chip/port (output) issue... if you DONT hear it in the headset and thru the speakers themselves then its POSSIBLY a speaker/hardware issue ...there are actually a few different possibilities for the "crack" ..without actually having the unit in front of me to work on and diagnose its kind of tough to actually tell EXACTLY what the issue may be.

Good luck~
LoneWolf

Reaction score
@lonewolfmage & @Wolfie

Thank you a lot guys for your advice. I really appreciate it.

I looked at this link and tried those suggested solution & then run the test (Dell's SupportAssist) again & ended up to install a list of drivers (please refer to the attachment). I also check the Device Manager looking for any item with a question mark and/or exclamation point but can't found any (including the hidden devices). After successfully installing those drivers, I run the test again & still get that "USB Composite - Misconfigured" result.

As for the audio crack problem, the audio seems back to normal after I finished installing those drivers and reboot the system. And the list of drivers for audio & sound in Device Manager also has increased a lot than before. I guess it helped. The audio sounds good using both internal speaker & headphone. I hope I won't get any more trouble with the audio thing.

Attachments

• c8.PNG
    c8.PNG
    55.5 KB · Views: 165
  • c9.PNG
    c9.PNG
    42.2 KB · Views: 147
  • c10.PNG
    c10.PNG
    39.3 KB · Views: 183
Reaction score
Hi 2haist,

on your first picture, I see there is a BIOS update listed, check your Dell model name/number and look only for a BIOS update and see if you can update that at least. Check on the Dell website for a BIOS only upgrade. :)

Reaction score
@Wolfie
Yes, I snipped that picture yesterday, during my 1st attempt to download & install those updates. Somehow I failed to install 2 of them (including the BIOS update) so I tried again to install those two this morning & it worked. But still I get the "USB Composite - Misconfigured" result after I run the test (hardware scan). I just check the BIOS info on Speccy & BIOS update on the Dell website just now. They look same to me, or am I wrong?

Attachments

• c13.PNG
    c13.PNG
    25.3 KB · Views: 181
  • c11.PNG
    c11.PNG
    48.8 KB · Views: 168
  • c12.PNG
    c12.PNG
    77 KB · Views: 177
Reaction score
Hi 2haist,

the pic shows a BIOS update from 2019, I assume that that is the last one available?.

What you could try is opening the Device Manager and removing the USB entries (right click > Uninstall) then restart your computer and they will be re-installed upon a reboot!. :)

Warning!: IF YOU ARE USING A USB MOUSE; IT WILL MOST LIKELY STOP WORKING IF YOU REMOVE THE USB DEVICES USING DEVICE MANAGER!.

1601278270905.png

Reaction score
Now I know what's wrong with the USB composite misconfigured. It was the fingerprint reader.
I don't use this device for login so it doesn't bother me much. What's more important that my main problem is solved. No more slowdown & audio crack problem, thanks to @Wolfie and @lonewolfmage for your guidance & advice.

Attachments

• c14.PNG
    c14.PNG
    24.9 KB · Views: 193

Ask a Question