SOLVED Windows 10 - Taskbar Bouncing Around

Reaction score
I'm so glad I found this post because I too have a laptop where I have the bottom right icons shifting erratically a few pixels to the left and right when I first start up the laptop. So I disabled a lot of the icons and many of the notifications and so I now only have three icons there (battery, date and the show hidden icons top arrow) and there seems to be less of an erratic shifting. Maybe because there are less icons and hence its not as bad with three icons as if you had 6 icons.

However something that may add more of an insight into this issue is that when I lift the lid of the laptop (aka the monitor) to different angles (from almost close to almost full open i noticed that the icons do shift around ). So I can replicate this on demand.

So at this point,

I don't know if it is the screen hardware that is at fault.

or The hinge mechanism which is supposed to detect if the laptop is open or not.

or if it's just windows 10 or a corrupt file or a bug in the latest release.

Also does Windows 10 have both a regular desktop mode and both a mobile mode which it is supposed to auto detect and maybe the shifting of the lid makes it confused as to desktop or mobile mode? It never changes to a mobile look so I'm not sure if this is correct.

However I will try tonight to disable the touchscreen and see if the shifting stops. if it is then it I guess seems to indicate a failing touchscreen or maybe if I reset to factory standards then it may indicate a corrupt file or a recent update that messed it up.

To the others who have disabled the touchscreen can you try the test of the lid being lifted to different angles and see if you see the icons shifting?

Reaction score
I'm so glad I found this post because I too have a laptop where I have the bottom right icons shifting erratically a few pixels to the left and right when I first start up the laptop. So I disabled a lot of the icons and many of the notifications and so I now only have three icons there (battery, date and the show hidden icons top arrow) and there seems to be less of an erratic shifting. Maybe because there are less icons and hence its not as bad with three icons as if you had 6 icons.

However something that may add more of an insight into this issue is that when I lift the lid of the laptop (aka the monitor) to different angles (from almost close to almost full open i noticed that the icons do shift around ). So I can replicate this on demand.

So at this point,

I don't know if it is the screen hardware that is at fault.

or The hinge mechanism which is supposed to detect if the laptop is open or not.

or if it's just windows 10 or a corrupt file or a bug in the latest release.

Also does Windows 10 have both a regular desktop mode and both a mobile mode which it is supposed to auto detect and maybe the shifting of the lid makes it confused as to desktop or mobile mode? It never changes to a mobile look so I'm not sure if this is correct.

However I will try tonight to disable the touchscreen and see if the shifting stops. if it is then it I guess seems to indicate a failing touchscreen or maybe if I reset to factory standards then it may indicate a corrupt file or a recent update that messed it up.

To the others who have disabled the touchscreen can you try the test of the lid being lifted to different angles and see if you see the icons shifting?

When I turned off the touchscreen, I haven't experienced the issue since so I'm convinced as others have pointed out that its likely a touchscreen going bad. Ive screen a few Youtube videos where people are replacing these in less than 10 minutes. I may consider that.

Reaction score
I know this post is old, but I hope this helps someone in the future. This is a confirmed touchscreen problem. Maybe Dell only, not sure. I didn't even knowy device was a touchscreen, but LIGHTLY tapping the top left corner of my bezel stopped it temporarily. 5 mins later it's back and my device is no longer a touchscreen.

Ask a Question