Windows 10 USB boot drive - Purple screen?!?!

Jed

Reaction score
Hopefully.
At least is sounds like you are making some progress

Its definitely progress mate, i assumed there was something on the harddrive blocking the installation progress.. i have been stuck on the following screen (gyazo at the bottom) for a while now, is this normal or has something gone wrong? I would try a windows 7 install but i cant find the code i used on the computer when i built it so thats a no go. Also many thanks for your help, this problem has given me many headaches and just want it fixed! haha.

https://gyazo.com/294ebac182826edccc769694b68a7335

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Looks like Drive 0 (zero) has a single 500 meg partition for some reason, which might suggest that it wasn't actually cleaned as all space should be "unallocated" after a proper cleaning.
IF it was mine, I would select Drive 0 Partiion 1 and click the delete button.
That should result in all space being unallocated, after which you just select that and click the next button

Jed

Reaction score
Looks like Drive 0 (zero) has a single 500 meg partition for some reason, which might suggest that it wasn't actually cleaned as all space should be "unallocated" after a proper cleaning.
IF it was mine, I would select Drive 0 Partiion 1 and click the delete button.
That should result in all space being unallocated, after which you just select that and click the next button

Just went to have another look and its on the next window and is apparantly 'copying windows files' but its at 0% , how quick should this be going? This was my original problem where it would just stay on 0%!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
how quick should this be going?
It varies, depending on the speed of the subsystems involved.
Installing from a USB 3.0 thumb drive on a USB 3.0 bus on to a SATA III SSD, will not take as long as
Installing from a USB 1.0 thumb drive on a USB 1.0 bus on to a 5400 RPM mechanical spinner.

Jed

Reaction score
It varies, depending on the speed of the subsystems involved.
Installing from a USB 3.0 thumb drive on a USB 3.0 bus on to a SATA III SSD, will not take as long as
Installing from a USB 1.0 thumb drive on a USB 1.0 bus on to a 5400 RPM mechanical spinner.

I now have the folloring message mate, any ideas?

''Windows could not perform a partition on disk 0. the error occured while preparing the partition selected for installation. Error Code: 0x80070057''

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
It sounds like there is a problem with that hard drive.
Did you perform the steps that I described above using DiskPart to clean the disk after using Shift + F10 at the install screen?

Jed

Reaction score
It sounds like there is a problem with that hard drive.
Did you perform the steps that I described above using DiskPart to clean the disk after using Shift + F10 at the install screen?

I did indeed mate but i also attempted to install windows after that which failed so i restarted the computer and tried it again.. is it possible files from the first failed boot install are affecting it? if so ill clean it once again!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I suppose anything is possible.
Boot from the installation media
Use Shift + F10 to bring up a command prompt to use DiskPart to clean the drive
Exit DiskPart, exit the command prompt and proceed with the installation select the unallocated space to install.
IF it fails again with the same message, I'd suggest attaching that drive to another computer and running Check Disk against it to see if that shows anything.
Perhaps try another drive if that option is available to you.

Jed

Reaction score
I suppose anything is possible.
Boot from the installation media
Use Shift + F10 to bring up a command prompt to use DiskPart to clean the drive
Exit DiskPart, exit the command prompt and proceed with the installation select the unallocated space to install.
IF it fails again with the same message, I'd suggest attaching that drive to another computer and running Check Disk against it to see if that shows anything.
Perhaps try another drive if that option is available to you.

Nothing is going right for me thats for sure, i cleaned the diskpart again and now i get 'we couldnt install windows to the location you chose. Please check media device, 0x80300023'

The location is Drive 0 Unallocated space, 931.5g free space

Jed

Reaction score
I have a spare SSD somewhere so if i install that and download windows to that it should hopefully work!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I have a spare SSD somewhere so if i install that and download windows to that it should hopefully work!
One would hope.
I don't understand why it won't install on the 1 TB drive unless there is something physically wrong with it.

Jed

Reaction score
One would hope.
I don't understand why it won't install on the 1 TB drive unless there is something physically wrong with it.

Me neither mate, really strange! just doesn't want to take windows 10 haha. Some slightly good news in unplugging the harddrive and plugging in the SSD and installing windows on that has worked and its all good, only problem is when plugging the harddrive back in when i start the computer it just stays on the first windows screen with the circling balls? i have picked the SSD at no1 on the boot priority list so not sure why the hdd is affecting the start up?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
when plugging the harddrive back in when i start the computer it just stays on the first windows screen
That might indicate that there is actually something physically wrong if you are talking about the 1 TB hard drive that initiated your problem.
Have you tried attaching it to a second working computer either eternally or externally using a USB Dock or connecting cables and then attempting to run Check Disk against it with the /R switch to see what the results might be?

Reaction score
Generally, I would recommend UEFI / GPT seems to be the default for most newer computers that I've dealt with recently.
IF you have backed up any important data on the drive, I'd also recommend using DiskPart to clean the current drive of any configuration that may be in place as a result of previous installs.
NOTE: Be aware that it will wipe the drive completely
At the very earlier stage of the installation first or second screen.....
Hold the shift key and strike the F10 key to launch a command prompt and in the command prompt window type
diskpart
hit enter and give it a minute to change the prompt to diskpart and then type
list disk
hit enter
select disk 0 (assuming only a single disk attached and it is the disk you wish to install Windows on YOU DON'T want to mess up here)
hit enter
clean
hit enter
exit
hit enter
exit (again)
hit enter
continue install.

As far as GPT versus MBR partition scheme, I suppose GPT is currently preferred, if for no other reason that the fact that it supports more than 4 primary partitions, but if you decide on GPT then UEFI is a requirement.
IF you decide on MBR then UEFI is not required, assuming you can switch to legacy BIOS and switch off secure boot.
I am suffering from same problem but when I type disk part system hangs there for a while and I can't type next command

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
surely the usb boot microsoft actually offers you would be the same outcome as using rufus?
One would think so but from time to time creating the MS bootable USB, sometimes it becomes corrupt....for what ever reason, it just happens. It happened to me a few times and I since switched to the Rufus method and haven't had an issue since.

Reaction score
Okay I'll show you a trick my guy press alt f10 there should pop a menu that looks like a mouse option go to properties and go to change font and window size change the numbers and eventually the window to install windows will pop up

Reaction score
I had the same problem but I was able to fix it by creating a bootable usb drive with the exact windows version that my pc is compatible with (I checked the Microsoft sticker on the bottom of my laptop) . Anytime I used a higher version or one that is incompatible, I had the purple screen outcome.

Reaction score
Hello I was also getting "Automatic boot repair" loop in Windows 10. When trying a Windows 10 USB boot created by the Media Creation Tool, it would get stuck on a purple screen.

This thread comes up as 1 of the top Google results, so I thought I'd update with what worked for me.

I eventually stripped the PC down to bare required peripherals and went back to old-school mouse/keyboard.

I found that one of the external HDs was causing this purple screen issue. I don't know why. I also dual boot with Debian on the side and it can access that HD's contents fine.

Anyway so to boot into Windows I have to unplug that external HD. I don't know what causes this issue and wish I knew the actual fix. This happens if I load in through GRUB or the Windows boot manager (selected by HD in BIOS for boot).

Hope this helps someone in the future.

Reaction score
Hello I was also getting "Automatic boot repair" loop in Windows 10. When trying a Windows 10 USB boot created by the Media Creation Tool, it would get stuck on a purple screen.

This thread comes up as 1 of the top Google results, so I thought I'd update with what worked for me.

I eventually stripped the PC down to bare required peripherals and went back to old-school mouse/keyboard.

I found that one of the external HDs was causing this purple screen issue. I don't know why. I also dual boot with Debian on the side and it can access that HD's contents fine.

Anyway so to boot into Windows I have to unplug that external HD. I don't know what causes this issue and wish I knew the actual fix. This happens if I load in through GRUB or the Windows boot manager (selected by HD in BIOS for boot).

Hope this helps someone in the future.

TLDR: Just tried this on 15Jan2022 and it works!

One fine day, my com which had 1 SSD (bootup) and 2 HDD attached, just decided to go into an infinite loop of booting up. I tried the recommended solutions such as using external media (USB thumbdrive) to boot up with the ISO inside. However, i will get to the 'purple/blue' screen with mouse cursor and there is no window or anything that i can click. However, i decided to unplug both of my HDD, and i manage to boot up as per normal.

Reaction score
Hello guys,

My dads work computer was turnt off whilst it was updating and pretty much broke windows 10, i tried numerous methods to fix this but nothing worked, even reinstalling wouldnt work. I eventually gave up and bought a new windows key in the hope of doing a full clean install.. but the problem im having is when i boot from the USB windows starts to load then a full purple screen appears with nothing on it and it stays there, i have no idea what this is or how to fix it to i can put my key in and install windows? Any help appreciated!

Many thanks, Jed.

Got the same purple screen. Have windows on a ssd and a second sata drive for data. Turned out that my secondary hdd had crashed. Disconnected it and windows booted normally from my main ssd.

Ask a Question